• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

turn signal not working

Blue12

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently replaced the turn signal switch on my SV as my left signal wouldn't work unless held down. I got the switch from SS. Once replaced I connected it all back up and tested it before connecting it to the steering column. It worked exactly as it should. Then I connected it to the steering column and it hasn't worked since. It doesn't work on either side. I called ss and they told me that I should be able to connect any piece of metal to two of the terminals and it should work. It doesn't. I didn't disconnect any of the wiring during this process. Any help would be much appreciated.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently replaced the turn signal switch on my SV as my left signal wouldn't work unless held down. I got the switch from SS. Once replaced I connected it all back up and tested it before connecting it to the steering column. It worked exactly as it should. Then I connected it to the steering column and it hasn't worked since. It doesn't work on either side. I called ss and they told me that I should be able to connect any piece of metal to two of the terminals and it should work. It doesn't. I didn't disconnect any of the wiring during this process. Any help would be much appreciated.
You replaced the entire t/s switch? Or did you repair your current switch by replacing just the 'spring & bush'?

Blue12

Silver Level Sponsor
I only replaced the plastic "Y" looking piece as the old one had broken so the left turn signal had to be held down to work. I reused the existing spring and bush.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
When replacing the plastic part on these turn signals you have to make sure that the same pressure is
applied to the contact areas, where the spring plate touches the contacts. The screws if too loose or too
tight can impact the operation of the switch. Also, if you haven't. make sure the contacts are all clean
and lubricated and the plastic part is also lubricated.

Paul354

Diamond Level Sponsor
This is a photo of the contact is the spring properly in place. Its a bit fiddly getting it all lined up
The spring might have popped out

Attachments

• IMG-2592.jpg
    IMG-2592.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Switch is a single-pole-double-throw switch. Test tight, grounded so that it will light up: test center of switch, should light. That receives current through wire and connector from flasher (mounted on bracket behind instrument panel on inboard side of steering column). The switch output, L or R, should test light up when moving switch. The three wires involved all have bullet connectors about 14" away from the switch; these can be loose or corroded. The wire connections
at the switch are comprised of three parts (riveted together), having dissimilar metals, so they will corrode and lose connectivity. I wire brushed and soldered the three parts together....mine failed at the center terminal. There is much to be said about the flasher, LED conversion, lamp housings, and bullet connectors, if more work is needed elsewhere.