• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk lid hinges

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am slowly working my way towards my long-stalled SIV V6, clearing out other projects so I can devote my time to it. One of the projects in my way is putting my also long-stalled S3 into storage. I am proud to say that my S3 now steers under its own power for the first time in at least 20 years (I previously needed to move it around by turning each wheel independently, something that was a royal PITA.) Next up for that car is to put trunk hinges on it, primarily so I can store its hardtop properly, which leads to three questions about trunk hinges:
  1. I have nice hinges for it, but didn't want to put those on until I was ready. I just went through a bunch of random parts and found 5 old hinges; 4 left hand and one right hand. It is possible I have a bunch of right hand hinges somewhere else, but is it common for the right hand hinges to wear faster than the left?
  2. And, as for the one right hinge I found, it is stiff as hell. Too stiff to use. Even though some of the lefts are in worse shape, they all seem to work just fine. I have tried various penetrating oils and moved it around by hand, but it doesn't seem to be loosening up. Does anyone have any advice for just getting this one usable? Can they be dissembled by pounding out to pins, cleaned and reassembled?
  3. And, assuming I can't get this one functional, how bad would it be to just use two lefts? More than anything, I just want it to help keep the hardtop in place, but it would be nice to be able to access the trunk if needed while the car is in storage.
Thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I have found a stiff hinge needs lots of movement and penetrating oils. Keep twisting it in the open and close positions and it "will" break loose.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Normally the pins can be pounded out. We do that occasionally on club members cars showing that dreaded "boot doesn't open desease". However if your hinge is stiff it may be hard to drive the pin. As stated lots of penetrating oil plus heat may help...

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. I’ll keep at it, and go thought more boxes in case I can find a better crappy one.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nah.

Since you only need a pair of hinges for functionality, not appearance, I'd be happy to send you a pair of cores for just the cost of postage. BTW, you're looking for the outer chrome ones, not the inside-the-boot support props, yes?

If interested, send me a PM.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you, Mark! I am going to head over to Rocco's this afternoon and see what I can steal from his parts stash. I am guessing I won't need to take you up on the offer, but I'll let you know if my dumpster diving is unsuccessful.

I also want to add that Mark's offer is the second one I have had here since posting my questions, proving once again that this club - and its members - is the best that has happened to Sunbeam ownership in a very long time!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Re the hinges you could use 2 of the same side, the HT receptical will face the correct way, but the chamfer of the rear will mean the hinge tail will go the wrong direction.. No harm no foul, biot will open

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Michael. I was going to ask that question again, if only for future reference, but fortunately, Rocco had a right one (painted a lovely shade of blue) I was able to borrow. I'll put the boot lid on tomorrow and hopefully, get the car in storage shortly.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Since the subject of trunk hinges has come up, I'll note that I at one point got new one from one of our suppliers. I found that the hole for the body end of the hinge and the two for the trunk end were slightly further apart than originals were meaning that the lid moved slightly rearwards leaving a larger gap than original. So if you get new hinges be sure to compare the mounting hole locations before painting just in case you have to elongate the bodywork holes a bit to make the gaps correct.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for that advice, Mike. I was just trying to remember if I had a set of the repros. I’ll be sure to check the fit early if I ever find them.