• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Travel car cover?

chris

Donation Time
I’m looking for a car cover that I can keep on the car while towing on a flatbed trailer. I’d like something that will be secure and protect from weather and dirt without damaging the paint. Does anyone know if such a cover is made for this application?

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I’m looking for a car cover that I can keep on the car while towing on a flatbed trailer. I’d like something that will be secure and protect from weather and dirt without damaging the paint. Does anyone know if such a cover is made for this application?

Hey Chris, Vic Brit has three, All good name brands. They have installed several grommets to allow for tie downs if you need more tie just get a grommet kit and add on.
I have had one now for 15 years, it has held up real good. Although I store the car in the garage, I still cover it.It is the VB 1000.

I think for trailering you might want the VB 4000 which seems to be a bit tougher.
Good luck in your venture..! :D
Chuck

65beam

Donation Time
car cover

chris,
this is a very bad idea. there isn't a car cover made that won't flap in the wind. when they flap,they pound the car. pounding takes off paint or scratches it real bad. i remember one owner pulling into a united several years ago with a cover over his alpine .when he removed the cover the rockers were missing lots of paint! i picked up a parts car on the east coast and piled lots of parts in it and tied an old cover over it . just glad it was a parts car. getting dirty is one of the disadvantages of an open trailer. put your car with the top up on a trailer and have someone tow it and you follow. your top will be raising up and moving. if it's a full cover this reaction mutiplies. pound pound,beat beat,scratch scratch. just the opinion of an owner that has towed alpines several hundred thousand miles and seen the disgust of others.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Agreed, this is a bad idea. The cover will beat your car and eventually rip to shreads.

The idea is to keep the rain off your car but the truth is more rain and grim comes up from the road. All you do is trap it - imagine that on your paint with the cover buffetting around.

If it must be covered then an enclosed trailer is about your only option that I know of.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
car cover

We towed to Suni and had all the problems everyone mentioned, what needs to happen is you need a cover that completely covers the car underside, also,
air gets under the cover and causes it to flap etc bad deal. I'm in agreement covered trailers are the way, but if you have an open one like us your at the mercy of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65beam

Donation Time
car cover

one way to protect your car on an open trailer is to install what i would call a nose cone . these are available from some trailer suppliers and i see them advertised in magazines. they are similar to the air deflectors that some trucks use on top of the truck cab. it would be easy to build and would protect the front of the car. they have a slope and cover a small portion of the side. i know of a tiger owner that has his hinged to swing forward to gain access to tie the car down.