• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission questions?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I recently test drove a Sunbeam Friends project that he's coming up on completing. When I asked him about the transmission, he said he took it apart and reassembled it. The problem; To shift into first gear, I had to forcefully pull it over to put it in gear. (Like you would normally push over to go into reverse) Also had to pull it over to go into 2nd. Now trying to shift into third and fourth, was just lucky guessing. Don't even ask me about reverse. Out there somewhere. How???

Sorry, Series V 1725 eng.

Ashfried

Donation Time
Hey Jim,
I feel for your friend. You know I had transmission issues before I sold my Alpine, but never had that problem. Not like I know a lot about it, but could it be that the left and right forks could be switched?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is it possible that he put an early shift cover on a S V tranny? Such that the reverse spring is on the wrong side? Not sure this error is possible but??

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would agree with Tom, sounds like the wrong shift cover. Not sure if the trans
would go back together if the forks were reversed. At least that's what my head is telling me.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I recently test drove a Sunbeam Friends project that he's coming up on completing. When I asked him about the transmission, he said he took it apart and reassembled it. The problem; To shift into first gear, I had to forcefully pull it over to put it in gear. (Like you would normally push over to go into reverse) Also had to pull it over to go into 2nd. Now trying to shift into third and fourth, was just lucky guessing. Don't even ask me about reverse. Out there somewhere. How???

Sorry, Series V 1725 eng.

Are you sure it's an Alpine trans thats in the car?

Interchanging the top cover on an Alpine trans (non first syncr v all syncro) wouldn't be possible because of the shift rail location.

As to incorrectly reassembling, I'm not sure that the shift forks could be put in wrong way round.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you sure it's an Alpine trans thats in the car?

Interchanging the top cover on an Alpine trans (non first syncr v all syncro) wouldn't be possible because of the shift rail location.

As to incorrectly reassembling, I'm not sure that the shift forks could be put in wrong way round.

Thinking a little more on it, has he assembled the shift rails (those that support the selector forks) in the wrong place or back to front ?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I'll try and get some answers from him tomorrow when I see him.
Thanks for all. I know, it's pretty weird.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Tom, you're the winner, wrong shift cover. So, the answer is, yes, it can be done, but everything works wrong. He has a different correct shift cover, now to just find the right shift lever with the flat on the correct side.

Thanks all.

Last edited: