• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Mounting with or without spacer

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I am converting my clutch from a hydraulic throwout bearing to the stock orientation. We have already milled the pilot bearing shaft down to fit the pilot bearing inner diameter. We have the Jose spacer plate. Do I need to use the Jose spacer plate? Do I need to do anything else to the transmission before mating it to the engine? I plan on using the spacer plate and then mounting it up. Does anyone foresee anything wrong with this?

Attachments

• IMG_9704.JPG
    IMG_9704.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am converting my clutch from a hydraulic throwout bearing to the stock orientation. We have already milled the pilot bearing shaft down to fit the pilot bearing inner diameter. We have the Jose spacer plate. Do I need to use the Jose spacer plate? Do I need to do anything else to the transmission before mating it to the engine? I plan on using the spacer plate and then mounting it up. Does anyone foresee anything wrong with this?

Does "... the Jose spacer plate" refer to a pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter that allows the use of a T-5 transmission with a 7.18" input shaft with a M-II 2.8 V6 bellhousing that was made for a 7.85" input shaft? Are you using a T-5 transmission with a 7.18" input shaft? Are you using a M-II 2.8 V6 bellhousing? If the answer to ALL of these questions is yes, then you need to use the pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter.

In any case, you need to make sure that the throw-out bearing support tube is (a) the right O.D. for your throw-out bearing and (b) is long enough to properly support the throw-out bearing at full clutch release stroke and (c) is not long enough to contact the pressure plate release fingers (note that the pressure plate release fingers move outward as the clutch wears).

It is also important to use longer flywheel mounting bolts to make up for the thickness of the mounting flange of the pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter.

Last edited:

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Does "... the Jose spacer plate" refer to a pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter that allows the use of a T-5 transmission with a 7.18" input shaft with a M-II 2.8 V6 bellhousing that was made for a 7.85" input shaft? Are you using a T-5 transmission with a 7.18" input shaft? Are you using a M-II 2.8 V6 bellhousing? If the answer to ALL of these questions is yes, then you need to use the pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter.

In any case, you need to make sure that the throw-out bearing support tube is (a) the right O.D. for your throw-out bearing and (b) is long enough to properly support the throw-out bearing at full clutch release stroke and (c) is not long enough to contact the pressure plate release fingers (note that the pressure plate release fingers move outward as the clutch wears).

It is also important to use longer flywheel mounting bolts to make up for the thickness of the mounting flange of the pilot bearing input shaft extension adapter.
The bell housing is D4ZA-6394 CC.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I'll measure the total input shaft today. The throwout bearing already sits perfectly on the input shaft bearing retainer. I believe the retainer has also been shortened to 4". Again, I'll verify everything tonight.

Attached shows the tag of the transmission. V6 Mustang tranny. 1352-236

Attachments

• Transmission.jpg
    Transmission.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 14

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll measure the total input shaft today. The throwout bearing already sits perfectly on the input shaft bearing retainer. I believe the retainer has also been shortened to 4". Again, I'll verify everything tonight.

Attached shows the tag of the transmission. V6 Mustang tranny. 1352-236

Did some digging and I have the longer input shaft.

As previously noted, the "... Jose spacer plate" allows the use of a T-5 with a 7.18" (V-8) length input shaft behind a Ford 2.8 V-6 with a M-II bellhousing.

IF you are using a 1352-236 T-5 transmission with a 7.85" input shaft and a M-II bellhousing, you should not need to use the "... Jose spacer plate." IF because it is easy to change the model # tag on a T-5 transmission.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
When I first started my V6 Conversion, jose was not making an adapter but would refer another gentleman if you needed one.

Following jose directions, I decided to do make my own adapter/spacer plate like some of the other V6 Guys had done.

A picture is available of my Adapter/spacer plate in my PDF.

Then after lots of trial and error I figured a way to make from bronze oil based bushing materiel a bushing that would support the input shaft for both of the lengths (7.18 and 7.85). Kelly Mathis was the person that convinced me to use a bushing for the 7.85 (longer shaft) because it was only being supported by 1/4" on the end of the input shaft (Spud).

Another note of interest is that the input shaft (spud) does not need to be turned down in a lathe as jose recommended. I have never needed to reduce the "spud" on any of my V6 T5 conversions.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rock, If you are planning to utilize an external hyd release slave you will need to modify the Mutt II Bell housing as pictured in my PDF.

The slot/hole that the former clutch cable was secured in needs to be ground off to allow clearance for the Slave Cylinder.

Attachments

• V6 Bellhousing modified for external slave cyl     20200719_180707.jpg
    V6 Bellhousing modified for external slave cyl 20200719_180707.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 11

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Update: I have the longer input shaft. We milled down the pilot bearing shaft to the proper diameter. We have milled the throw tube down to 4.5" from the back of the flange to the end of the tube. I will grind the bell housing where the original slave was. All set to go.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Update: I have the longer input shaft. We milled down the pilot bearing shaft to the proper diameter. We have milled the throw tube down to 4.5" from the back of the flange to the end of the tube. I will grind the bell housing where the original slave was. All set to go.

Why 4-1/2"? The measured length of the throwout bearing support tube is not important. What is important is the clearance between the forward end of the throwout bearing support tube and the pressure plate release fingers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will grind the bell housing where the original slave was.

Not sure if I understand your meaning..."the original slave" ? The original stock Mutt II had a cable hooked from the clutch pedal to the "side" lever on the bell housing.