• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Input/Output shaft

gordonra

Donation Time
I have a Series V (Serial number 395018165) which indicates that the transmission should be of the 25 tooth variety, however I do not know what is currently in the car.

I purchased a 25 tooth tranny from a fellow, but I'm afraid that I may run into a problem when the time comes to trade the old for the new. SS has the 25 tooth clutch, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Was the output shaft all the same on the 10 tooth and the 25 tooth input transmissions?

If they are different, how difficult will it be to locate a 25 tooth output yoke?

Thanks for any help....

Rich

Pumpkin

Donation Time
series and type tranny

Rich,
cast in to the main case on the left side, some on the right...is a set of numbers, MIND you they will be upside down on the unit. So with careful looking, take the info and write it down. (1), will be the manufacture or cast date..such as my OD tranny 15-1-6 , (2) next the style, mine 1DA 5778, (3) ,the big number will be the part number, mine 198083. There also may be a large letter above mine U.
Then I believe it was IAN or JAN that knows all of this stuff. or someone in the alpines .net should know this info.
Do have a good day
Chuck in Portland
ser ll 1725 , OD tranny

Pumpkin

Donation Time
shaft

I have a Series V (Serial number 395018165) which indicates that the transmission should be of the 25 tooth variety, however I do not know what is currently in the car.

>See my post on this one,, I neglected to note abot your other questions.

I purchased a 25 tooth tranny from a fellow, but I'm afraid that I may run into a problem when the time comes to trade the old for the new. SS has the 25 tooth clutch, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Was the output shaft all the same on the 10 tooth and the 25 tooth input transmissions?

>The out put shaft is OK no problem there

If they are different, how difficult will it be to locate a 25 tooth output yoke?

> Again here not to worry. Just make sure you install all new bearings and seals, unless the transmission has been recently o hauled.
Cheers
Chuck

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rich,

The fine spline input trans also has a fine spline main shaft which requires the matching yoke for your drive shaft. If the trans you purchased is from an Arrow ( Hunter range of cars ) it will also have different length ( longer ) input and main shafts than the Alpine gearbox.

18434501000233.JPG

HTH,

gordonra

Donation Time
It appears that there is a conflict in the responses.

The transmission I have is supposed to be from an Alpine.

I'll check the numbers next time I feel like crawling underneath....

Rich

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The stock SV 25 tooth tranny, or "fine spline tranny" has 25 going in and 25 going out. So, you do indeed need the matching driveshaft. It's actually easy to undo the 4 bolts on the rear flange of the driveshaft and pull it out and see what you have - without pulling out the tranny first.

The stock SV OD tranny has 25 going in and 10 going out. That also needs a shorter driveshaft.

How hard it is to find a 25 spline yoke? Don't know. But, back in 1979 ish, when my original fine spline driveshaft universal joint failed, taking the yoke with it, I could not find one. I ended up swapping in a SV course spline, which was easy to find. Now I have the SV OD tranny.