• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

transmission identification

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
I have 8 trannies, but don't remember what came from what series S2, S4 or S5.

All have casings with number like for example: 18 11 63 10DA15778 and 1980837.

First looks like a date code from 60 to 69 and on has 86(!). Then a number with 1,2,3,4,9,or 10DA, and then a (part?)number like 191- or 198xxx. No number matches my parts books. How do I recognize a S2?
Robert

Last edited:

mikephillips

Donation Time
OK, first thing to do is set aside any where reverse is to the right and down as those will be the fully syncro boxes from the later cars. The first part of the number you have is indeed a date, for the case casting using day month year, anything between about August 1960 to late February 1962 should be from a series 2, assuming that they're cast up to about 4 weeks before actual use. Later would be series 3 and early 4, earlier would be a 1. Only real difference though between them is the gear ratios as all the early ones are reverse to the left and down so would look the same in the car.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have 8 trannies, but don't remember what came from what series S2, S4 or S5.

All have casings with number like for example: 18 11 63 10DA15778 and 1980837.

First looks like a date code from 60 to 69 and on has 86(!). Then a number with 1,2,3,4,9,or 10DA, and then a (part?)number like 191- or 198xxx. No number matches my parts books. How do I recognize a S2?
Robert

I have a trans that has nearly the same casting date. I was hoping it would be a series III close ratio box but manually turning and counting the input to output ratio suggests its an early series IV.

An SII and early SIV are more or less the same. The SIII would use the same case but different gears for close ratio. All 3 will likely have the same case part# but possibly different casting dates.

Early/non sync trannies are easily distinguishable from late ones as the tail housing rear section is smooth and thinner versus thick and ribbed. The cases can be IDs easily too as the early ones have a bolt in the side of the case that doesnt exist on the later allsyncs.

Last edited: