1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

    If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.


    Dismiss Notice

Title help

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by twospeed, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. twospeed

    twospeed Donation Time

    Hello everyone---I need a title for my 63 s3, any ideas?
    Thank you.
  2. motor man

    motor man Donation Time


    two speed, what state do you live in? do you have a legal bill of sale, do you know what state it is titled in? you need to know these things, then you can get started, you may be able to go back to the state that the title is in and notify the last owner, but you really need a b.o.s.,,,,motor man good luck
  3. twospeed

    twospeed Donation Time

    I live in illinois, got the car from owner who bought it new but he lost the title. I cant find him now but I know it is clear. He lives in same state.
  4. motor man

    motor man Donation Time

    title 2

    sorry for being such an air head, I see you live in ILL, I recently got a title
    for my 27 ford roadster, I had a legal bill of sale I went thru a company that takes your bos and runs it thru a state that did not title cars before a certain year, I believe 1965, I will have to check for sure, they will issue you a title from that state, there are also some other co's on the net that also offer this service, let your fingers do the shopping, if you run out of options ,,,motor man
  5. motor man

    motor man Donation Time

    title 3

    ok here is another idea, if you know it is titled in ILL, take the vin #s lic plate
    if you have it to dept of motorvehicles( my wife informs me the you guys call it the secretary of state) ????? and they can look up the name and address of the last registered and titled owner and see if they will give you an address or if they will contact the person, they should be able to help you more than anyone else,,,good luck,,,motor man
  6. chris

    chris Donation Time

    Contact your DMV, they deal with this all the time. They'll probably even give you a temporary registration while you're going through the process.
  7. P. Scofield

    P. Scofield Bronze Level Sponsor

    Sent you a PM
  8. sharong

    sharong Donation Time

    Motor Man,
    Don’t use the title companies you find on the internet. My local DMV has told me that what they do is Illegal in every state and if your DMV finds out you used their service they will not let you title or register the car.

    Go to your local DMV, tell them your problem and they can help you our.

    Here in Washington state you need a bill of sale and they will title your car on a provisional title. For 3 years you have the provisional title and if no one files a claim on the car the title clears and you are good to go.

    It is usually best to go with your local government department regulations, while I understand it can be a PITA, it can be even worse if you don’t play by their rules.
  9. miket

    miket Donation Time

    I have just had a similar experience. I'm in Quebec, Canada, and I purchased a SV from New Hampshiere. I had no title, as NH does not title cars over 10 years old.
    I did have a BOS and I did have the importation documents. After being refused the first time because I didn't have a title (he did agree that NH does not title older cars), I decided to keep visiting different DMV offices until I got my way. On the 4th visit, last Friday, I was successful.
    So the moral of the story is: When it come to bureaucrats, it's all in the eye of the beholder. So keep trying.

    Also here in Quebec, if you don't have the title for a Quebec car, you can bring it to the cops and they will do a search for the VIN. if it's clean they will give you a document that tells the DMV it's clear and then you can get a new title.

Share This Page