• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger One Wire Alternator Conversion Pulley Alignment

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
PLEASE DISREGARD - he figured it out but had not told me.
I’m not sure how to delete a post on the new version of the forum. When I figure it out, I’ll take this down.

This question is in regards to my father’s Tiger.
He is working on the one-wire alternator (Powermaster 55 amp) conversion on his Tiger.
He purchased an alternator bracket from Robert Straghan. I’m not sure if he is a forum member or not, as my dad contacted him through FB.
He installed the bracket and alternator but the alternator pulley is offset about 2 inches from the other pulleys on the motor (Ford 302).
I’m sure there is something that is just being missed in the process…additional spacers or something to that effect…but he doesn’t know what it is that he needs.

Does anyone here have experience with this conversion that has the answer for him?
Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just put an alternator on a Tiger with stock wiring. I also used a bracket from Robert but used a Denso
alternator that his bracket is made for.
Is the alternator behind the pulleys or in front? Mine was slightly back and used a washer behind the
standoffs for the bracket. Brought it all straight. I put mine on the other side of the bracket.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Steve…it’s been too long since we talked!
He figured it out. I’m not sure what he did because I’m not down there.
The photo shows how he installed it originally. I don’t know I what he changed.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I just put an alternator on a Tiger with stock wiring. I also used a bracket from Robert but used a Denso
alternator that his bracket is made for.
Is the alternator behind the pulleys or in front? Mine was slightly back and used a washer behind the
standoffs for the bracket. Brought it all straight. I put mine on the other side of the bracket.

If using the stock Tiger pullies (or my billet pullies), the shorter alternator bracket standoff marked "dipstick" is to allow for the thickness of the dipstick bracket at the head, and with the fan flange on the water pump in the correct Tiger position it should all line up.

The most common problem is that a stock Ford water pump has the fan pulley flange outboard of the stock Tiger position. The fix is to push the flange inboard to the Tiger position, about 3mm clearance to the pump body. Do this in a press, and check using the gasket first. It then should line up with either the stock generator, or my alternator bracket.
A washer will make this work at the generator/alternator, but not at the crank pulley

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
BTW, I have now re-designed this bracket to fit both the Powermaster 93mm and 100mm frame "mini" alternators, so that you can have a choice of outputs up to 75A.

Attachments

• _DSC7920 - resize 65%.JPG
    _DSC7920 - resize 65%.JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 1