• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger battery replacement

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hmmm, seems I heard someone else mention an Ultra-capacitor a while back...

Dr. Emmett Brown ...

Did you see the $$$ on these.
Unless you are so weight conscious you don't want a lead acid or other battery wow.

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the "XS" capacitor in the video is model SB630-1200 which is available at jegs dot com for $499, and with their 20% discount would be $399 and they free ship anything over $199. Hope 2022 is a good year.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
That video is a little miss-leading.

IF the engine didn't start within a very short time, the capacitor would need to be recharged.

Here is it's intended use:

Extreme Stored Power
XS Power SuperBank Capacitors are a great source for quick and strong bursts of electricity. XS Power designed these capacitors to work great in vehicles with advanced car audio systems or even drag racing applications.

SuperBank capacitors are engineered to provide a high amperage jolt for things such as high bass stereo systems keeping battery voltage high. In drag racing vehicles the power unit is primarily used for starting purposes. XS Power SuperBank Capacitors are to be used in parallel with regular automotive batteries.

These are NOT batteries or battery substitutes!

(the above is from Jegs)

BUT, Ultra capacitors are NEW Tech.... that has been on the minds of some for DECADES,

And are only going to get BETTER.

AND, that bit about 1.21 kF is WAY closer than I guessed it would be!

Jegs info says 630 F so 2 of them is .... ALMOST 1.21 kF....

Better lucky than good...

DW

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW, with this thread title I had NO clew it would deal with anything other than standard batteries.

Just saying.

DW

loose_electron

Donation Time
Save your money. It's an interesting idea but not cost effective. Plus batteries are more reliable than capacitors in many cases. If you were trying to shave weight off a car (a racer) I would consider Li-Ion battery before a capacitor. Just an opinion.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The You Tube video allows for comments and appears it might reach a larger audience.