• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Automatic

alpine_64

Donation Time
They did prototype a couple during the initial evaluations.. They proved even heavier on fuel and performance was subdued... One still survives and was restored recently (2019) it was Geoffrey Rootes personal car after its development assesment

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
They did prototype a couple during the initial evaluations.. They proved even heavier on fuel and performance was subdued... One still survives and was restored recently (2019) it was Geoffrey Rootes personal car after its development assesment

Thanks for the detail Michael.
Rick

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
A few Tigers out there had automatics installed by their owners. Tiger Tom had one in his tow Tiger. I got to drive it once and it was a great driving car. Also met a former owner who installed one in his Tiger along with A/C.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
There was a car in the PNW that was converted to hand controls and an automatic. Plus there's an Alger automatic that was discussed here. It sold for 60,000 at auction super nice in resale white :)

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back n the LATE 70'S I had one w/ a 302/ Holley 4 barrel and 3sp auto. Everything else was stock. A great driving car and fast. Had a lot of fun
messing w/ some muscle cars of the day, esp. Corvettes. That car was restored/resto'ed and sold for 89,000.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A few Tigers out there had automatics installed by their owners. Tiger Tom had one in his tow Tiger. I got to drive it once and it was a great driving car. Also met a former owner who installed one in his Tiger along with A/C.

I bought Ed Esslinger's car...it had a weak running 289 when I got it. I installed a .30 over 302 mated to the Ford C3 automatic. It was fast - faster than my 289/4 speed. It was also hot in the cockpit..stock exhaust manifolds and not nearly enough insulation...also had ac... very nice car!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is the auto Tiger my friend in PA sold many years ago. Houndstooth seat covers, A/C, and LAT Pie Mags. It was a pale silver blue in color. Anyone remember this Tiger?Bob's Tiger automatic 1.jpg Bob's Tiger automatic.jpg

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back in the '90s I did some work on a Tiger with an auto.

It was a real Hoot to drive, it was Hard to NOT light the rear tires from a stand still!

It had LITTLE rear tires...

DW

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
It was also hot in the cockpit...
You got that right! In '75 I did a trip from central NC to Ocean City via the Eastern Shore, w/ my wife and the Poodle.
We made fairly frequent stops to hose down the dog and ourselves. My wife was never very fond of that car afterwards.