• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thermostat housing

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
On one of the race cars we found the engine had been changed from a 1725cc motor to a 1592cc motor and they had left the original 1592 water pump housing on the head. This is the style that you would find the header tank mounted to.

Anyway, they had simply bolted up a later thermostat housing cover to the old style housing (the housing cover now faced up versus forward to the radiator).

Is there any problems in this setup? Apparently, they were racing with the engine set up like this.

Steve

skywords

Donation Time
Did you mean to say that the engine was changed from a 1592 to a 1725?

If so I have just purchased a Series II that has the tank installed also on a 1725 engine. I have not seen the car yet but it should be delivered by mid Feb. I think this has been done before.

Rick

RootesRacer

Donation Time
On one of the race cars we found the engine had been changed from a 1725cc motor to a 1592cc motor and they had left the original 1592 water pump housing on the head. This is the style that you would find the header tank mounted to.

Anyway, they had simply bolted up a later thermostat housing cover to the old style housing (the housing cover now faced up versus forward to the radiator).

Is there any problems in this setup? Apparently, they were racing with the engine set up like this.

Steve

No probs whatsoever.

My own car is setup this way (1725 using early 1592 thermo housing and early expansion tank connected to the early crossflow radiator).

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Thermo housing

No, they went down to a 1592cc. Early style thermo housing and late thermo cover - no tank. According to Skip he couldn't get the 1725's to hold together at RPM and since he had been racing a Rapier on the west coast knew he could build a 1592 that would. This link tells a little bit about Skip's racing (jump to the end to read his explination about the swap):

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/sunbeam/office/scca_racer.html

Anyway, It sure makes life easier dealing with the removal of the early style thermo housings. So, I may just stick with that setup.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Jan,

It has the 1725 radiator. So filling isn't the issue. I was more concerned about air being trapped and creating some flow issue. The housing is almost as high as the top of the tank (might be higher... I need to check). On my Alfa, which does have the thermo housing located high, they have a "bleed" valve at the top of the thermo housing.

They must have been running the car like this without issues. Maybe it is a "try it and see" situation.

Steve

Wombat

Donation Time
Steve

Sounds like the setup that was on my father's Hillman Super Minx. I do not recall the precise details and whether the top tank of the radiator was higher than the thermostat or not, but it used the same radiator hoses as the Series III-V Alpines.