• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Perils of VIN Swapping

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
VIN swapping has come up on this forum several times. As many of us often say, it is your car and you are free to do what you want with it, but the Board has always tried to make certain the forum cannot be used to facilitate or encourage the practice. I don't want to generate controversy, but I thought I'd share a good, short article in Road & Track on the dangers (and illegality) of the practice: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a38108749/check-the-vin-before-you-buy-a-classic-car-to-avoid-getting-it-seized/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=103021&utm_campaign=nl25487503&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Case in point, VWs have two stampings. In 1968 the state's like Calunicornia, started noting motor stampings on motorcycles as well. Just because reproduction VIN are available for many many makes of vehicles doesn't make it a great idea if you're car only comes with one held on by rivets and a sticker on a valve cover. Walking up with a Heritage certificate or a ledger page would be persuasive only.
I can think of a Lord Rootes , a Howie winner and several others that either lost or replaced their tags. It's a unique feeling when you get told your car could be crushed by someone flexing themselves...

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
At the end of the 1969 model year Ford found itself with 789 Shelby GT350 and GT500 Mustangs sitting on dealer lots. Ford collected them all, and under the watchful eye of the FBI, removed the 1969 VIN tags and re-VIN’d each as a 1970 model. Agents also observed the destruction of the 1969 VIN tags. To differentiate the ‘70 Shelbys from the ‘69s Ford added 2 stripes to the hood and a chin spoiler from the Boss 302.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hilarious , MikeH ... Some
Sunbeams in California just got the car titled as 6638200xxxx
Or 669472xxx and sometimes the little plastic SUN65 tag number was added on in front of the VIN often leaving off the B and sometimes the designation. When I got the last car CHP inspected I gave the inspector my file with persuasive evidence. Copies of CAT Tiger Tales articles by Brian Glen on tags and their differences. Sunbeam Specialties catalog pages with VIN info. A few ledger pages, plus everything I could think of.