• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Perfect Compliment to your Sunbeam

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Presumably most everyone here is fond of Sunbeams. I've has mine for 38 years. I really enjoy it, but it does have it's drawbacks - limited seating, noise, weather protection, etc. Consequently, I have always had a second car - usually late model, reliable, boring, Detroit iron. Recently, I have been wondering what the ultimate second car would be: something with pace, space & grace. '57 Chevy Nomad, Jag XJ 12, Volvo Amazon, an old Rolls??

What do you think??

TR

65beam

Donation Time
compliment

These give you plenty of interior space, lots of trunk space and if it starts raining just roll up the windows. No leaks. They also have flow thru ventilation ala 60's Chrysler. We carry an 8 X 10 EZ up in the trunk. The case lays across the trunk with room to spare. The heater is so good that I never could set the temp above half way when I drove one of these as my everyday car back in the 90's. I pulled my Timeout camper with the red one.

Attachments

• 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
compliment

The big advantage to the fastback is that the driveline components are readily available. The water pump is about the only difference and they are easy to find.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I probably should have added Air Conditioning to the list of requirements - gotta keep the wife happy. Being a long time dark-sider, a stock fastback probably isn't going to do it for me, but TT's Rotor Rooter sure would! I drove that car back from the United in Savannah many years ago - it was slick!

TR

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Big roomy and sporty bucket seats

Presumably most everyone here is fond of Sunbeams. I've has mine for 38 years. I really enjoy it, but it does have it's drawbacks - limited seating, noise, weather protection, etc. Consequently, I have always had a second car - usually late model, reliable, boring, Detroit iron. Recently, I have been wondering what the ultimate second car would be: something with pace, space & grace. '57 Chevy Nomad, Jag XJ 12, Volvo Amazon, an old Rolls??

What do you think??

TR
Owned since 84', Barb talked me into it has been one of my favorite. Even has air. Still like the open air drive of the Alpine as the alternative.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 20

65beam

Donation Time
compliment

I probably should have added Air Conditioning to the list of requirements - gotta keep the wife happy. Being a long time dark-sider, a stock fastback probably isn't going to do it for me, but TT's Rotor Rooter sure would! I drove that car back from the United in Savannah many years ago - it was slick!

TR

You probably know that the Roto Rooter was totaled at the Harrisburg East toll booth of the Pa pike after almost making it home from SUNI 1. The last I heard the remains were owned by Brian Boyer. TT offered to sell it to me but since the rear body work was up under the back window we passed. I have to agree that it was a fun car. This photo was taken at the Meeting of the Marques a few months after we restored the car in 2008. Shortly after this photo was taken TT handed me the Tiger keys since he and Joanne were taking the 69. My wife bought everything TT had for the fastbacks and there was a truck load of NOS parts and they were used to restore this car. It's a very reliable and comfortable car but the steering makes a tour on Skyline Drive a little tough at times.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
ABSunbeam - I'm digging it! My first car was a '63 Galaxie sedan. Wish I still had it - my dad sold it when I went away to college. Wasn't near as nice as your wagon.

Bob - I heard the Rooter was totaled - didn't know the details. Your '69 is lovely, but not enough space for what I am looking for. I need to haul 6 people, 120lb dog, and a Christmas tree at times.

Jim, That looks like the perfect Bimmer for a dark sider, but I suspect budget would be an issue, plus the fact that every yuppie on my street owns a BMW (some more than one). I owned a 1602 (like a 2002 except for 1600cc engine) for while - that was a neat car.

There is a part of me that is contrarian - if you can't afford the Ferrari - go to the other extreme and buy the '59 Rambler Wagon (in pink of course!)

65beam

Donation Time
ABSunbeam - I'm digging it! My first car was a '63 Galaxie sedan. Wish I still had it - my dad sold it when I went away to college. Wasn't near as nice as your wagon.

Bob - I heard the Rooter was totaled - didn't know the details. Your '69 is lovely, but not enough space for what I am looking for. I need to haul 6 people, 120lb dog, and a Christmas tree at times

The Rooter was rear ended at the toll booth by a K car with no brakes. I've had four adults in the 69 and I think at the United in Cinci we had 14 in my van . The cat only weighs 20 lbs and we have two artificial trees. No kids to haul around since the kid and his family are in Florida so the five normal vehicles do fine. Counting the Beams we have an even dozen vehicles so with the three trailers I can haul just about anything the wife decides to buy. She also bought one of the cargo racks that sets in the trailer hitch receiver of the SUV. I have a Beam body with a receiver hitch parked at Tiger Auto so if you need that get it before the body goes in the dumpster at the end of the month.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
63 wagon

Thanks Todd- I do have a video of Doanne Spence leaning on it at Suni in Lake Geneva. I had heard that Doanne didn't let anyone lean on his! Back then wagons were not popular yet. Didn't have a Sunbeam yet so ended up taking it. Barb & I decided that was the best place too look. Met George Barton and Eric Gibeau there. Found our Mk1 2 years later in Madison Wi. Now have a Super minx wagon I purchased from George.

Attachments

• SUNBEAM WAGON SUPER MINX.jpg
    SUNBEAM WAGON SUPER MINX.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 12

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
65 beam...."It's a very reliable and comfortable car but the steering makes a tour on Skyline Drive a little tough at times."

You could add my "Power steering" and make the driving a more pleasurable adventure;)

That beautiful Alpine GT would then have all the modern conveniences except of course the A/C. That too could be done relatively easy too.

'