• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The oil is going out the back? Maybe!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Under high rev at high speed I have the idea that my engine is blowing oil out the rear of the engine. Is this possible? Could it be from high crank case pressure, is there a seal behind the flywheel for the rear of the crank shaft that may be my problem? I am unable to find such a seal at SS of CS. Any help or understanding would be great.

alpine_64

Donation Time
It is not unsual for any oil from the front to get dragged along under the car. But if you dont have a leak from the timimg cover or mains im wondering if its breathing heavily from the road draft tube?

Andrew

Donation Time
It is not unsual for any oil from the front to get dragged along under the car. But if you dont have a leak from the timimg cover or mains im wondering if its breathing heavily from the road draft tube?

I have done the timing cover mod and I loose vary little oil out the front. It is eithe the tube or a seal out the rear of that is possible.

65beam

Donation Time
Alpines do not have a rear main seal. The slinger grooves are cut to throw oil back into the engine. There is a cork gasket that sets in a groove in the rear main bearing cap. The oil pan sets on this and seals leakage from the pan. This cork strip hardens and may be leaking.

Andrew

Donation Time
Could also be a leaking cam plug too. I have seen them leak.
CAM Plug, is this behind the fly wheel & clutch disk? The oil loss looks like it is at the back of the engine. I will drop the oil pan and install new gaskets as it just may be the slinger grooves.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
CAM Plug, is this behind the fly wheel & clutch disk? The oil loss looks like it is at the back of the engine. I will drop the oil pan and install new gaskets as it just may be the slinger grooves.

Yes, it will be behind the flywheel at camshaft height. You wont be able to discern the leak from the cam plug versus from the rear main as they will both drip down the rear main bearing block.