• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Future of Gas Powered Cars for Hobbyists

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think the point he was making was with all emerging tech there are always inconveniences and trade offs.. And embracing some niggels for other positives can be ok....
Given our hobby of driving old cars and either striving to keep original or upgrading them for performance we go through all sorts of hastle... And any normal car would outperform our sunbeams and be more comfortable reliable etc.. But we do it for a certain experience.

What i would point you to was the charging speed.... I was shocked (pardon the pun) at how fast that Porsche charged.... Thats a long way from the early plug in charge and its only going to get faster.
I took it more as him trying to use a jedi mind trick on us making it seem we should enjoy spending hours waiting for our cars to recharge.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I took it more as him trying to use a jedi mind trick on us making it seem we should enjoy spending hours waiting for our cars to recharge.
Think you may have misinterpreted.... If you his back catalogue of reviews he is definitely a fan of traditional cars.. Manual boxes, natural aspiration,physical buttons etc...but dors fair and honest reviews of each car.. His somewhat lukewarm review of the new vw golf was interesting.. As his review of the higher spec ev porsche.. So i took his discussion as just that. an alternative thought on perception of convenience...

Again.. I was shocked how fast charging has got ..
charged at a rate of 4.2 miles per minute... Doesn't take a long time to get enough charge for a trip....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I want to be the first to buy a pass for the Electric Daytona 500. How long will a pit stop be to re-charge?
The 24 hours of Lemons (not to be confused with LeMans) already allows electric vehicles and most swap out the battery packs in the pits.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Think you may have misinterpreted.... If you his back catalogue of reviews he is definitely a fan of traditional cars.. Manual boxes, natural aspiration,physical buttons etc...but dors fair and honest reviews of each car.. His somewhat lukewarm review of the new vw golf was interesting.. As his review of the higher spec ev porsche.. So i took his discussion as just that. an alternative thought on perception of convenience...

Again.. I was shocked how fast charging has got ..
charged at a rate of 4.2 miles per minute... Doesn't take a long time to get enough charge for a trip....
Sorry, until I can get a full charge in the same time it takes me to fill a gas tank, I am not interested. I know that is asking a lot, but that is my position.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ever ask yourself how often you really need a fill up of that nasty smelling gasoline or Diesel? Unless your on a long trip, the honest answer is probably "Never". So why is the fill up time so important with EV's?

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I take several trips of over 500 miles per day every year.
Then seems a hybrid would be the solution for you.... Ironically he dis a review of the posrche hybrid a year back.. +650hp twin turbo v8 and a 125hp 240ftlb electric motor.... And 0-62mph in 3.4sec .....
What was also interesting in that review was the discussion of e-fuels which could be the saviour of combustion engines and all our classics... Currently about x4.5 of normal fuel... But as the process improves should get cheaper

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, I am less than sold on how green any evs are when you look at the big picture. Pass.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think it was some quote from a legislature in the Midwest.
One question where does the electricity come from that charges the vehicles and she said ,"oh the building. "
Is anyone old enough to remember the Kennedy's and those others on Martha's vineyard, being against having wind power in their backyard as it was an eyesore. One of my car designer buddies from American Honda just bought a Tesla although he's in love with gas cars. His story was pretty interesting I don't think I've ever read it. He told me that the big plan is to have everybody with an electric car hooked up to the house when there's not left electricity they suck it back out of your battery to feed the grid.
Sounds like a great plan if you're the *guy controlling the levers. I think he said he was going to get a bumper sticker for his car that said powered by coal.... Oh in the view today there's six stacks that haven't been working for several years that were either oil fired or CNG fired. personally I have a little chuckle whenever I see somebody with a trailer hitch on the back of a electric car.
Why should we be subsidizing Teslas, and not more economical cars only ? I would say that even after getting a thumbs up by a Tesla driver today.

* Guy used instead of non binary non-gender specific big sibling :)

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Because we are not subsidizing Tesla. Maybe California is, but the Federal money went away a year or so ago.

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
* Guy used instead of non binary non-gender specific big sibling :)

Warren,

I'm not really into "conspiracy theories", but I've read enough mysteries, action-adventure, and spy thriller type books :):rolleyes::p that I've developed a habit of looking for possible interesting plot twists. Try this one on for size.

Pandemic > governor's "Emergency Executive Order" to stay at home > power suppliers with control over EV charge timing availability eliminate all EV charging > when present EV charge is depleted, no one can travel without a government issued exemption pass to allow recharging. :eek:o_O

(Recall what happened with unemployment and other government benefits due to the pandemic)

Not trying to be political beyond "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Okay I stand corrected but the point was federal money should not have gone to a Ferrari like supercar for the big buck guys.
I wonder how many Chevy volts you can buy for a Tesla out the door. and no I'm not going to bother my brain with trying to figure out the numbers because I really don't care. I would have an electric car or a little golf cart if I can get my wife to drive it to the grocery store that's less than 2 mi from the house cuz it makes sense. Cars can be like surfboards or like motorcycles you need different ones for different conditions and different jobs that's all...
The real trouble is they'll be somebody who center punches a golf cart or some econo box e machine and that'll be all she wrote...
Oh and yeah I'm ready to assume the risk of driving around in a pinto like car with crossover tubes for the gas tank in the back just like a Mustang or early Falcon. I totally hear what you say you're saying in the conspiracy theories.
But in reality we have a Governor saying that wearing a mask is like wearing a helmet.
Yet they let people ride those stupid little scooters with the wheels as big as a Coke bottle with no helmet on cuz it suits them. Since not many of you were in California, when the helmet law came up it was sold as we don't want people without health insurance becoming a burden on society.
Nevermind if they had insurance . Maybe what is happening in Texas with this last freezing will give a re-evaluation some of these people who think we're ready for 100% renewable energy. Maybe if we get a flux capacitor.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
crossovertubes for the gas tank in the back just like a Mustang or early Falcon. ??????

My Mustang has no crossover tubes. Not sure what you mean here.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The crossover tubes are as easily damaged by a rear end collision as is the filler neck on the Fords.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Maybe what is happening in Texas with this last freezing will give a re-evaluation some of these people who think we're ready for 100% renewable energy."
The lesson "these people" take from Texas is if you want electricity 100% of the time, build an electrical infrastructure that is capable of operating 100% of the time, not just 99.9% of the time. What lesson did you learn?

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not that i want to go down this rabbit hole... But arent renewables responsible for around 25% of power in TX .. And significantly more than that was offline?

IIRC the windpower was estimated to only be able to provide 4% in those conditions but did actually slightly exceed that...
Wasn't the main issue the fosil fuel supply lines froze...
And the bigger issue is that none of the power supplies renewable or fossil that failed were constructed to withstand such low temperatures?

Also as a very big side note.... There are wind tubines that operate fine in such conditons in europe.... As they are constructed to do so... Fit for purpose....

I find it odd how with renewable power or ev's etc... The argument is they are not 100% relibale... 100% infallible... Etc. ..... Guess what, neither is any other form of fuel, car, infrastructure etc....
Also renewables and others are all on the start of their development curve... There of course is a transition period... There is of course times where they are not the optimal and may never be in some circumstance... Same with anything.

I see a bunch of threads on car forums saying how electronic igntion is nowhere near as good as points as if it fails you cant just clean points or swap out points.... Ignoring the many benifits and advantages of electonic igntion....
I also note owners of electronic igntion tend not to carry around spare control modules in their cars as... Unlike points.... they dont expect them to fail often....

Im not sure why so many people talk in absolutes or total polemics.

I've got a pony in the combustion engine race... Heck i have 3 and i dare say my sunbeams put down more ponies and drink more heavily than most on this forum ...
I also suspect i intend on owning and driving them further into the future than the average age of the posters here.... But that doesnt mean i ignore reality or dont try to come up with ways to keep supply of my needed fluids on pump... The e fuels are my best bet if and when i get to the ripe old age of you guys and am still driving my sunbeams.... So i focus on making sure that alternative fuels that can be used in my cars will be available.

being obsstructionist about it is more than likely not going to help the cause....

Anyway.... Ill open the flood gates and let you all pile in on me for my views.... :D

Warren.... Ill let you go first .. Just let me get my helmet... :O ... ;)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
My point was that given the current technology being 100% renewable energy didn't get to happen without some cold kesters. And risking repeating myself I'm looking at four stacks in Redondo Beach in the view that have been taken offline, they were running on natural gas or oil-fired in the past Plus there's another two in El Segundo I would bet that they've taken the ones offline in Huntington Beach as well by the old naval shipyard and ammunition depot. Maybe in these electric homes sound like a reboot to you or wait many of you aren't from California when California Edison touted the electric home as the new way of life. In some parts of California you can't even install a new natural gas-powered water heater in new construction.
Nobody needs a helmet. There is a place for electric cars but not all electric cars until the technology improves. I may still want to drive 750 miles in one day, although if they included free napping stations then maybe :)

Oh and by the way what's the pay back period on a windmill. Seems like it would make a lot more sense to put up a lot of smaller ones like they sell for boats.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There is a place for electric cars but not all electric cars until the technology improves. I may still want to drive 750 miles in one day, although if they included free napping stations then maybe :)

Oh and by the way what's the pay back period on a windmill. Seems like it would make a lot more sense to put up a lot of smaller ones like they sell for boats.
I agree.. Hence hybrids...
On windmill payback... No idea..... Whats the payback on an offshore oil rig and shipping routes?
The payback for renewables is the drop in pollution.
In australia the payback for home solar is now down around 5.5 years.... Then again... If in the UK they would still be asking "what is a sun?"

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will lay a wager that if the payback for small windmills was better than for big windmills, we'd be seeing backyard sized wind farms. One huge hurdle for small windmills is the wind patterns. Much more breeze a hundred yards off the ground. Nobody thought that Indiana had enough wind for windmills. Then the state commissioned a vertical study of wind patterns. Commercial windmills started springing up like Tundra Daiseys in Alaska.

A lot of problems exist simply because no one has made a serious look for answers.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
My understanding is that the windmills did not have winterizing equipment installed and so froze up or developed ice on the blades. And solar panels got covered in ice and became useless.