• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

thank you

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, Andy. Yes, I think if one were to poll our members (numbering more than 6,000 now) that they would find that nearly all would say it was one of the most friendly and helpful boating sites on the 'net. We consistently get that sort of feedback. And the reason is good, well thought-out rules, fair, firm and consistent moderators, and members who are mostly just really nice boating folks.

My basic thought around moderation is to approach the forum as if it were actually a group of ladies and gentlemen in a bar or pub... And that the same behaviour is expected in the forum as you'd have there. What would get you thrown out of a pub will get you thrown out of the forum (or censored).

The bottom line is that we in THIS forum are here for one purpose... To share in the hobby of Rootes vehicles and related subjects... and in that endeavour our goal should be to do so as gentlemen and ladies of good character and intent, and in the spirit of being helpful to our fellow members. Anything outside that is really just inappropriate and warrants censorship for the good of the forum and its members.

There are loads of other places on the 'net where folks can go if they wish to express themselves in ways that fall outside the forum's rules, so you cannot be accused of stopping free expression.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
The bottom line is that we in THIS forum are here for one purpose... To share in the hobby of Rootes vehicles and related subjects... and in that endeavour our goal should be to do so as gentlemen and ladies of good character and intent, and in the spirit of being helpful to our fellow members. A anything outside that is really just inappropriate and warrants censorship for the good of the forum and its members.

Bingo, buddy...you nailed it!!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I wish I could have read the thread, but it's certainly the President's right and responsibility to moderate. I wouldn't give it a second thought, Mr Steve. This wasn't about those luggage rack feet Paul had moulded, was it? I sure would like to have a set, but they're just too expensive for me right now :D

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Point of info

The "Paul" who was part of the "exchange" that led to Steve's actions was not me. I'm the Paul of 5-speed trannys, Rebel wiring kits and Ol' Blue stories.

'67 Series V with Toyota 5 speed (Ol Blue)
'66 Tiger
'64 V8 Alpine

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Really, guys, at this point it doesn't matter whose "fault" this all was. It's probably more true to say that there were several different situations that lead up to Steve's resignation. I would urge everyone to just move on from here, secure in the knowledge that this sort of thing will most likely not ever happen here again...without consequences, that is.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend and enjoys their Sunbeams to the fullest!!!!!!! And, don't forget...next week is "British Car Week!!!!!"

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
steve,
don't get excited! chill! understand that some folks agree to disagree. it's a way of life. the same guys that disagree from time to time would help each other if the need arose. many times disagreements bring a lot of good info. look at the detailed info one member seems to come up with if someone disagrees with him. it's human nature with strong willed people. it all works out in the end. different folks, different attitudes, different feelings but the same feelings for sunbeams. that's what it all about!

I was just thinking the above is worth repeating.

Last night, I watched the SC Senate debate until after midnight over a sales tax exemption for an online retailer. If anyone would have supressed anyone else's opinion, they would have never have arrived at the conclusion they came to. "It all works out in the end." "That's what it's all about."

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Steve,

Can we move this thread and the "To Whom it May Concern" thread out of the for sale section and to one of the two SAOCA discusiion forums?

Thanks,

Jack

RootesRich

Donation Time
I was just thinking the above is worth repeating.

Last night, I watched the SC Senate debate until after midnight over a sales tax exemption for an online retailer. If anyone would have supressed anyone else's opinion, they would have never have arrived at the conclusion they came to. "It all works out in the end." "That's what it's all about."

John, you stated in an earlier post you didn't read the thread so I don't understand the basis for your comment.
Let me help you out... it wasn't a disagreement despite what some may be lead to believe. It deteriorated to prepubescent name calling which arguably had no means of resolution. I doubt your SC debate involved references to one's chosen lifestyle; then again having lived in your area a few years ago perhaps it did.
Regardless as you can see from the posts, the majority believe it was correct to wipe the exchange.
I'm sure I'll regret responding in this thread again, however I agree with Jack it should be relocated to another area. I'll see what can be done.

agmason54

Donation Time
thank you very much

Rich
I think censorship is bad. Let everyone read what was said and decide for themselves. I never got to read the end myself!! You have the right to call people 'pubescent' as much as anyone has the right to call me a 'dork'. See my point? Once you start censoring there will be no end...
I'll take ALL the blame but would rather die than retract one word I said.I suggested to Steve that is was getting nasty and something should be done but not this.No one has yet told me I was out of line.
It's amazing to me how this whole tale started with a kid stealing $20 from my buddies wallet in Nevada leading to the SAOCA president resigning!!!!
All I was trying to do was sell the SIIIGT not write a book about it!Now all this crap is wasting space on the for sale section...
I want $2500 for the GT.....
Albert Gears Mason

aka
'Slick Al'
'Lemonpusher'
'ComesWithThunder'
'RedCartheWhite Guy'
'Man'sMan'
'Dork'!!!!!
believer in FREE SPEECH!!!!
agmason54@hotmail.com
330-424-0236

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
SAOCA Forum Policy

Dear Fellow SAOCA members here is the Forum policy as agreed by the officers. This will be incorporated into the by laws

The SAOCA Forum is here to provide a place for Sunbeam/Rootes owners and
enthusiasts to meet and to discuss topics relating to Sunbeam/Rootes products.
The forum is provided by the SAOCA administrators who freely give their time to
maintain the forum. We ask in return that when posting on the forum to interact
with others this is done respectfully. Please treat others as you would expect
to be treated yourself. The following will not be tolerated.

Rules
Profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will any profanity
be allowed on the forum
Messages personally attacking, calling names, or otherwise harassing, being
condescending or sarcastically responding to another forum member.
Sexually explicit messages or images.
Messages attacking another persons religion and political views. All political
posts should be in the revelant section.
Spam ie posting non Sunbeam/Rootes advertisements on the site

Inappropriate Posts
Please report all inappropriate posts to the forum administrators/SAOCA offices
and they will be dealt with in accordance with the SAOCA By-laws. DO NOT respond
to these posts.

Penalties for Infraction
The following penalties will is they are felt appropriate by the SAOCA governing
board

First Offence, official warning from the SAOCA President
Second Offence, 1 Month ban
Third offence, lifetime ban.

Please enjoy the SAOCA Forum it is a great place to meet fellow Sunbeam/Rootes
enthuasists to make new friends and share information. Enjoy !!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very good rules, Steve. You might also add as 'unacceptable' behaviour any debating of moderator actions within the forum... if they want to discuss it they should email/PM the moderator directly.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
One thing not mentioned..... Anyone goggling or doing a search on the net of "Sunbeam Alpine" will find us at, or near the top of the list. We tend to think of our site as a closed circle, but it's not. What we say and air out here is visable to anyone on the net and therefore a reflection of us. I think what's been added to the by laws is a good idea. Thanks for doing it.

Limey

Donation Time
Free speach? Sure,but only when someone is speaking as an adult. But if a child is babling or a teenager is talking Sh*te, you shut them up don't you? When an adult insults from behind a screen? you do the same.

Don't any of you who have caused this dare accuse any moderator of 'censorship' just because he wipes your verbal shite off this site. Do you know the real value of free speach? You do not have the right to personally insult a member or to talk evident crap! The constitution protects inteligent protest NOT the pointless comments of idiots.

Moderator, cut them off at the neck and no mercy. We're talking 2 or 3 members with evident personality glitches. No loss at all. We'll never hear from them again. But let them stay and we'll be doing this agian next year. Do it without apology and do it now lest we loose another good man to these misfits.

Limey