• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Temp Sender in Celsius

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Does anyone know where I can get a temp sender that fits the V6 2.8L but is in celsius? I think the thread is 3/8" if I am not mistaken.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Does anyone know where I can get a temp sender that fits the V6 2.8L but is in celsius? I think the thread is 3/8" if I am not mistaken.

The sender is just a sender, it doesnt know or care whether you want to read in imperial or SI units. The difference is how the gauge is marked, but the sender would be the same either way.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor

Rockonp04,

Unless you have changed the gauges to a digital input, the sender probably only supplies an analog output. The catch is you need a sender with output that matches what the gauge needs to display properly. What gauge and why C*???

HTH

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rock, Mike Hartman found me a sender unit for the 2.8 V6 that fit in the ofy manifold (right above the By-pass hose) that matched with my stock (original SV) temp guage.

Perhaps, you can get him to help..... stay tuned,

Rockonp04

Donation Time
My gauge is original. One route is buying a pickup from Sunbeam Specialties and adapting the thread with an adapter.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rockonp04,

Do you have a series 1 temperature gauge? The sender I worked out for DanR was for the series 3 to 5 temperature gauges. The series 1 temperature gauge expects a very different set of resistance values than the later series gauges.

You mentioned you think the sender threads are 3/8". DanR was looking for a 1/8" NPT (27 tpi) size sender for his Offy manifold. Are there Offy single port and dual port manifolds for the 2.8 V6?

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I know of no single PORT for the OFy.

Rock, The OFY position for the sender I use is located just above the position for the by pass hose.

Attachments

• OFY 4 bbl intyake Heat Sender mount hole    20180102_171148_LI (2).jpg
    OFY 4 bbl intyake Heat Sender mount hole 20180102_171148_LI (2).jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 14

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Rockonp04,

Do you have a series 1 temperature gauge? The sender I worked out for DanR was for the series 3 to 5 temperature gauges. The series 1 temperature gauge expects a very different set of resistance values than the later series gauges.

You mentioned you think the sender threads are 3/8". DanR was looking for a 1/8" NPT (27 tpi) size sender for his Offy manifold. Are there Offy single port and dual port manifolds for the 2.8 V6?

Mike
I am putting my temp sender on the top of the manifold outlet which ties into the radiator. What are the threads of the ford motorcraft and the series 3-5 temp sender? Are they the same? I ordered one from Sunbeam Specialties today.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Mike, I know of no single PORT for the OFy.

Rock, The OFY position for the sender I use is located just above the position for the by pass hose.
That's a slick location but I am going with the spot on top of the manifold outlet.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you running a heater in your Alpine?

If so, you may need to rethink utilizing the "one" hole on the Ofy water neck for the sender..... unless of course you get a double fitting that will take two connections.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Are you running a heater in your Alpine?

If so, you may need to rethink utilizing the "one" hole on the Ofy water neck for the sender..... unless of course you get a double fitting that will take two connections.
I have one which actually has three holes. They are out there. I got it off my 2.6L V6. Seems like an original part. I'm just going to adapt the sender from Sunbeam Specialties.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That will work for sure!

I have modified the water neck you refer to for several V6 Projects by cutting the hose connection from the right hand side and welding it to the left and welding one of the three holds shut. Powder coating will made it look like new.

Routing the water neck to the left works well if you modify the radiator to have a 90 degree elbow "down under" the bottom of the radiator tank. I use a Gates 22080 hose to route over to the "modified" thermostat housing for an easy connection:)
See the details and pictures in my Radiator PDF.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
That will work for sure!

I have modified the water neck you refer to for several V6 Projects by cutting the hose connection from the right hand side and welding it to the left and welding one of the three holds shut. Powder coating will made it look like new.

Routing the water neck to the left works well if you modify the radiator to have a 90 degree elbow "down under" the bottom of the radiator tank. I use a Gates 22080 hose to route over to the "modified" thermostat housing for an easy connection:)
See the details and pictures in my Radiator PDF.
Thanks for the heads up but I've already done all of my modifications for the radiator and the car is running. This was just a question about the temp sender.