• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
You can read my previous post but to make a long story short (no pun intended) part numbers have been confirmed, correct routing has been confirmed (Thanks DanR for the pics), but my new brake cable is too short.
(Yes, the handbrake lever is in the disengaged position.)

Everything is fine up through the 'barrel' snapping into the clip on the brake bar behind the differential.

The portion of the cable from that point to the passenger side brake lever, which is a straight run and as far as I know has no adjustment, is about 3" shorter on my new cable than the old one.

As I said in my previous post, I matched installation to removal at each step...in other words, I didn't remove everything and then go back and install everything but 'in' and 'out' were sequential.

You can see in the photos that I matched the barrels from the old and the new cable at the brake bar clip which means the cables are equal and static at that position, so theoretically they should be the same length from that point on but obviously they are not and the new cable is not long enough, even adjusted all of the way out, to connect to the brake lever.

I know the cable does not go under the spring...I just have it there for length comparison.

I've been in communication with Rick at Sunbeam Specialties and he is being very helpful but he doesn't know what the issue could be. He has even done length comparisons on his end between old and new and has not found a problem.

Has anyone run into this or do any of you see something that I am looking over?

upload_2021-9-30_16-13-54.jpeg

upload_2021-9-30_16-14-17.jpegupload_2021-9-30_16-14-43.jpeg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Anything different between the cables on the other end that attaches to the handbrake lever?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Anything different between the cables on the other end that attaches to the handbrake lever?
They were the same. I'm going to end up pulling the new one out to compare from end to end but I didn't notice anything different between the two and things like that normally catch my eye.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
See my painted circle.... Could the cable be Inkedupload_2021-9-30_16-13-54_LI.jpg straightened in this area ?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
See my painted circle.... Could the cable be View attachment 24303 straightened in this area ?
I can't straighten it there because the barrel has to snap into the clip behind the differential, so there is no room to give. The barrel is the one static part of the whole cable that has to be exactly where it is, so there is no wiggle room.
If there was, I believe the cable might be long enough.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It has been a while since I had to replace a brake cable, but I have a vague memory of a similar problem. And, an even hazier memory of solving the problem by removing the handbrake lever and just barely attaching the brake at the brake end. I was then able to screw the lever back in. But, it might just be a dream, so don't hold me to it.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
It has been a while since I had to replace a brake cable, but I have a vague memory of a similar problem. And, an even hazier memory of solving the problem by removing the handbrake lever and just barely attaching the brake at the brake end. I was then able to screw the lever back in. But, it might just be a dream, so don't hold me to it.
I’m game to try anything at this point…dare to dream. Lol

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod, I have a new cable from SS, I'll measure mine tomorrow for comparison
Rick measured one that he has in stock at 69 3/4”.
Since you’re going to measure anyway, if you could also measure the final portion of the cable, from the ‘barrel’ to the end of the threaded rod, that would be helpful.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does your handbrake hook up end look like this? (Ignoring the debris and flakes. :) )

upload_2021-10-1_0-54-20.png

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I'm confused. Rick measured one. Are the two that you have the same length?

Interestingly, I had the opposite problem. My cable is too long. I am tightened all the way down to get the brakes to grip. I've always assumed the "boss" on the metal rod where the cable is held is in different locations from car to car. Also it is possible that there are different length cages where the end of the cable goes. We should be comparing those. I will get under my car later and take some measurements.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ok. The cage is about 3" from end to end. And the rod is about 19" from bend to middle of bracket for cable.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Ok. The cage is about 3" from end to end. And the rod is about 19" from bend to middle of bracket for cable.
I just pulled the new cable off of the car and measured.
The new and old cable are the same size...within 1/4 of an inch.
The difference is the placement of the barrel...at least that's what I call it. I admit I am unaware of the correct technical terms of the parts of a brake cable. Lol

There is a 1 1/2' difference in the locations between the old and new cable and that is enough to prevent fitting it impossible, unless I am still missing something.
There is no length to be made up between the barrel and the brake lever at the wheel because it is a straight run with no adjustment and even though there could be length gained by straightening the cable on the driver's side, it's irrelevant because the two sides of the barrel are independent of each other, due to the static location that the barrel has to clip into.

It sounds like I need your cable and you need mine. Lol
upload_2021-10-1_11-26-35.jpeg
upload_2021-10-1_11-26-52.jpeg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The measurement you are making is irrelevant. As long as the housing is long enough to go from mounting point to mounting point, it's how much the cable sticks out that matters. Or the distance the cable has to go - that is, the distance between the bracket and the cage on the brake.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Here is what I'm calling the cage, that I measured at about 3" (this picture is not my car - but I note that it is almost all the way screwed in - just like mine)

20131229-008-RH-drum-brake.jpg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I suspect it's the long rod that is different between cars, over the years, or between different transaxles.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I suppose that this distance might vary between handbrake levers, which would also impact how much cable is available at the other end.

Alpine handbrake measurement.png