• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tank options

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Been wanting to place a cylindrical spun aluminum fuel tank right behind the conv. top well. I would use it as a day tank retain the saddle tanks for the long trips and use a Y valve and possibly a charcoal canister just to cut down on the evaporation and stench in the tight garage. Don't want to loose a lot of trunk space or use a Mustang or Falcon floor replacement tank. Nor do I desire to give up the spare tire space. Everyone has seen one of these tanks on a sand rail .

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Been wanting to place a cylindrical spun aluminum fuel tank right behind the conv. top well. I would use it as a day tank, retain the saddle tanks for the long trips, and use a Y valve and possibly a charcoal canister just to cut down on the evaporation and stench in the tight garage.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but I would like to understand your thinking.

Why is this a better solution than just using the saddle tanks?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I went through this thought process when my passenger side tank crapped out on me. The easiest and best solution ended up being replacing the tank and calling it a day. So far, so good.

What are your thoughts on this? It sounds like you’re looking for a very specific rationale and we just don’t see the perspective.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok read the CAT postings showing the old articles related to road tests on these cars.
You'll find a Ralph Nader bashing that was held off by under reporting of accident data. Obviously not enough Ford Pinto like rear end collisions. I remember the same thing happening with the early bay window VW bus and it got a pass on crash data somehow the VW lingered on till 78 but that's another thing.

But back to my thoughts. I don't like the idea of a crossover tube being compromised by a low impact rear end collision, nor do I like the always hot brake light circuit. But I could keep those tanks empty except for the really big long trips United or whatever.

I don't want a big fuel cell in the trunk eating space with a bladder that has a shelf life etc.
I don't have too many outings that exceed one hour in each direction. The gas is crappy and doesn't store well either but especially in a vented container. Maybe y'all got my drift now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren, your mention of Ralph NADER brings back bad thoughts....

Your reference to a rear collision and the rupturing of the gas crossover is a possibility. I have made a sheet metal (20 gauge) panel to fit in under the soft top for one of my Alpines with the intention of eliminating a possible fire through the rear section of the trunk (gas tanks and fuel pipes/lines) into the passenger compartment.

It covers the entire openings from one side to the other between the inner fenders. Took quite a bit of time making a pattern for a decent fit that would help starve off a fire should I have an accident.

Bill Blue was rear ended when he was making a right turn into a driveway. It was a major hit to the right rear of his Alpine. It actually smashed the fuel tank but did not cause a fuel leakage by some miracle.

It sure enforces my desire to have that divider made for my Red GT.

If you go with an additional fuel tank of some sort, I wish you the best, but I have not yet figured a need for additional fuel tanks.

Procraft and Bradly did the Mustang style tanks in their Sunbeams and that tempted me a bit:)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's not necessarily additional , that's a bonus. I'd keep the saddle tanks dry except for a big trip. The firewall you mentioned is also a Dale A. mod I've seen and would help quiet the passenger compartment as well.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
How old are these cars? and how many people have died in freak rear end crashes? Really? You guys have way too much time on your hands. Drive like nobody sees you, you'll be fine.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Drive like nobody sees you, you'll be fine.

I kinda like for my Alpine to be seen!

NOT Seen is what I worry about.

Additionally, installed LED lights to my system in the Blue Boy increased the visibility too. I can see the dash lights for the first time even during the day driving.

Besides, the panel I put in my Sunbeam makes for a quiet ride:)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I got rear-ended on the way back from a car show so with all due respect. Lighten up.
Then I had to battle with the insurance company who wanted to total the car, and yes I got a hell of a neck ache from the low seats in the maybe 8 mile an hour collision and the car needed a quarter panel.
I like unsafe at any speed but only if it is my choice to drive unsafely...