• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tachometer, SV, updated and calibrated

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have for sale a Series V tachometer upgraded per my article in the archive, with improved temperature compensation and calibrated with cal report showing accuracy at 11 points around the dial. $180 incl shipping to anywhere in the 48 states. See the article :
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/alpine_tach_repair_rev5.pdf

Send me an e-mail if interested. Just click on my name and select "Send an e-mail" DO NOT send a PM.

Tom Hayden

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just an unsolicited endorsement for Tom's tachs. I have one and it works flawlessly. I had previously adjusted the potentiometer on mine to be accurate at around 3,000 RPMs, but was amazed at how far off it really was throughout the scale when I installed one that worked properly. It is nice to now have one that is essentially new.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
An another "plug for Tom's TACHs... He modified one of my SV's from stock to work for one of my 2.8 V6's... Accurate too!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys. And welcome back, Ken. I noticed your posts a few weeks back and was glad to see them.

Tom

Massman

Donation Time
Hey Tom
My name is Doug Massey and I have a 66 SV. When I bought the car the neither the speedo nor the tach worked. I got a new speedo cable and speedo to address that problem but when I went to the rear of the tach I noticed, after reading several of your postings, that I only have the nylon/plastic piece holding the single loop of wire. See attached . I take it I only need to get the metal "C" clamp to rectify my issue - can you confirm

Thanks
Doug

PS - personal email is dmassey2@bell.net

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 47

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another plug for Tom....always willing to help out whenever I needed it, and that's been
quite a bit! Massman, I probably have the little U clip for the tach.
PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
Cheers!
Steve

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
No way tell for sure that the tach will work if you add the steel C-clip. But it absolutely will not work without it! Looks like sunalp is going to help you out. But these are pretty rare. EXCEPT if you have a spare tach, even an old broken one, there is an identical, mating C-clip inside the tach as part of the easily-disassembled transformer coil.

Tom

Massman

Donation Time
Thank you Tom - I only have the one and I'm hoping, with Sunalps generosity, that it does the trick

Doug

Massman

Donation Time
Back from holiday - I would first of all like to thank Steve again for sending me a metal clip to try to get mine going. Rarely, whenever it felt like it, it would flutter up and then fall back down. I tried the clip today - I'm not great at electrics, I identified which one went to the ignition, cut the existing looped wire, stripped it and then the wire that came with Steve's - twisted them together hooked up the remaining wires and started the car - nothing. Un twisted one of the wires (+) and the car quit. I take it I need a new tach. Thoughts??

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Time to box it up and mail it to Tom Hayden for repairs! He will fix it......

Massman

Donation Time
Hi folks - I managed to find a local guy selling a tach. It came of course with no c clip so Thanks to Steve, it's good. Didn't work initially, but as per Tom's article, put another full wrap on it and it works!

Thanks to all who assisted me , especially Steve, and I know to contact Tom if this one breaks.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad it all worked out!
Tom is great if you need it repaired or calibrated, so keep him in mind.
Cheers!
Steve

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I have for sale a Series V tachometer upgraded per my article in the archive, with improved temperature compensation and calibrated with cal report showing accuracy at 11 points around the dial. $180 incl shipping to anywhere in the 48 states. See the article :

Send me an e-mail if interested. Just click on my name and select "Send an e-mail" DO NOT send a PM.

Tom Hayden
Is this tach still available and will it work with a 78 Pinto 2.3 conversion with a stock Point distributor?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a tach available. Yes, it will work with any stock points distributor . Send me an e-mail tahayden42 AT live.com

Tom

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor

Tom Hayden