• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 Transmission - Speedo Sender

loose_electron

Donation Time
Fun fun fun...

I have a V6 conversion with a T5 manual transmission. Also, the instruments have been all changed over to electronic Speedhut instruments. (Looks era correct, but internal modern electronics)

All of that said, the output drive gear inside the T5 transmission, to the speedometer output (back on the tail of the transmission) is made of plastic. Because of that an electromagnetic speedo sender will not work.

Many of the mechanical to electronic senders have a rather high profile and may have problems fitting in the transmission and hitting the body of the car (driveshaft tunnel area)

All of that said, I would be curious to know what people have used for mechanical to electrical speedo senders.

I dropped an electromagnetic sender into the speedo port and got no signal. Digging deeper I found out that the output gear inside the T5 is plastic. Crikey!

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Why don't you use Speed Huts gps speedo solves all the problems? and I think all the drive gears are plastic from the top loader on the Speed Hut deal we've used before works rather well, we're driving our speedo of the trigger wheel for the anti loc in the diff however were using an 8.8 diff so we have that option.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Why don't you use Speed Huts gps speedo solves all the problems? and I think all the drive gears are plastic from the top loader on the Speed Hut deal we've used before works rather well, we're driving our speedo of the trigger wheel for the anti loc in the diff however were using an 8.8 diff so we have that option.

GPS will be an option but I have heard that they can lag a bit, so would prefer having a VSS type of sender off the drive train someplace. Exploring options and ideas right now.

Speedhut gauge that I installed was non GPS (thought the sender was good) and Speedhut only does GPS in the gauge. There are some aftermarket GPS to electronic pulse stream devices out there that I would put in, and they get the job done for $100 or so.

Prefer to go non GPS if possible so still looking for ideas here.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, Try a place in Texas that I had some work done. Texas Industrial tie@texasindustrialelectric.com
11116 Watt Circle, San Antonia, TX 78233 210-654-7075

I dealt with a Gent by the name of Steve, Rebuilt T5 Speedometer cable and Alpine Guage

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
GPS will be an option but I have heard that they can lag a bit, so would prefer having a VSS type of sender off the drive train someplace. Exploring options and ideas right now.

Speedhut gauge that I installed was non GPS (thought the sender was good) and Speedhut only does GPS in the gauge. There are some aftermarket GPS to electronic pulse stream devices out there that I would put in, and they get the job done for $100 or so.

Prefer to go non GPS if possible so still looking for ideas here.
Looks to me like you can just drive it off the Transmission the stock sender should be a pulse generator ? at least the one we just thru away was rotating wheel magnets etc. the speedo counts the pulses were using a VDO speedo and that's how it works however having said all that we.re driving ours off the
diff /anti lock trigger wheel that passes the magnet and counts the pulses. More s...t to mull over.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Looks to me like you can just drive it off the Transmission the stock sender should be a pulse generator ? at least the one we just thru away was rotating wheel magnets etc. the speedo counts the pulses were using a VDO speedo and that's how it works however having said all that we.re driving ours off the
diff /anti lock trigger wheel that passes the magnet and counts the pulses. More s...t to mull over.

The senders I have found have all stuck out too far from the tail of the tranny. (hits the side of the drive shaft hump) Those have all been a gear drive to an electronic pulse method. The one found with a low enough profile to not hit anything were electromagentic pulse method, which does not work when the shaft spinning under the sensor uses a plastic gear under the elecrtromagnetic sensor.

They make steel "gears" to go on the tail shaft of the tranny to work with an electromagnetic sensor, but thats a tranny rebuild. I have a GPS sender unit and will install that in the near future.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-speed-...ash=item3cecd35f71:g:MPsAAOSwXLFZg0L5&vxp=mtr

Very reasonable at $38 and the guy has sold a lot of them.