• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 transmission help

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Well the time has come to where I've finally kicked it into high gear on getting my Alpine up and running. Got a shweet 302 built up and almost ready to drop in, and I figured I'd better get my transmission question out of the way. I noticed that the P.O. of my car who initially started the swap cut fairly far back to between the seats, and that is where my shifter will be and I probably won't be able to use my center console. I know about the AMC tail shaft to put the shifter in the location of a Tigers, but they're hard to find. Does anybody know of an alternative tail housing I can bolt up to bring my shifter closer to my dash so I can keep my console? Also, would anybody happen to have the overall length of their T5 setup from bell housing to the end of the tail housing? And also (sorry, I'm new to tinkering on transmissions) what is needed to be able to use my stock speedometer? I read chevy T5 tail housings won't allow a ford speedo cable to hook up and seems like a big hassle. Sorry if these are kind of worn out questions. Used the search feature and looked around but couldn't find much info to help. Here is a picture I took of it before winter hit... I have a transmission tunnel but it was removed for paint.

Thanks! Kyle

Last edited:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
From the picture it looks like you maybe a bit far back with that T5.younwill also need to box the hump http has been cut.A square box of 1/8 the steel will work.

I would install the motor and tranny and get the motor mounts lined up and installed first.

You can reverse the shifter which will move the shifter knob forward.
I know the tail end of the T 5 in the AMC cars can be modified to be as the stock Tiger shifter

Have fun

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Kyle, Looks like you are further back than Tiger. GM Astro van is about the same as AMC . About 1/2 way between top cover and where you are now. S10 may be perfect for your setup, right behind top cover. Article on the web on changing to s10 and getting speedometer gear to work. What are you doing for mounts?

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Well in this picture, and currently at the moment, a "mock up" 302 is installed in my car bolted to this T5. I will be selling this transmission though because it is out of a 4cyl mustang and won't work with a V8 due to a shorter input shaft, and torque ratings. So my plan was to find a strong world class T5 to handle my 400hp, and find a good short tail housing not so much to meet the stock Tiger shifter location, but mainly just to keep my center console. I've done a bunch more reading since posting this and yes the chevy S10 tail housings are a popular swap. Guess I'll read more how they got the speedo cable to hook up. The article I read they still didn't have a very reliable way. I also saw about Astro vans, but didn't read much into them after reading about the speedo cable gear issues. I'll read up in them to find their solution. Ya, my tranny sits way farther back into that hump than I'd like, and I'll definitely reinforce it or hopefully be able to weld a plate back over where it's been cut out. There's a custom mount that the P.O. made to hold the tailhousing. This mount will most likely be changed once I pull the car out this spring (I have a small garage at the moment) and I'm able to find what setup I'll be using.