• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 Tans. and drive shaft

mr.vman

Donation Time
Found the correct T5 for the 2.8 V6, 5 speed conversion in El Paso. Looked for some time, paid; $295. Had a friend pick it up, decided I should buy the drive shaft also for the front yoke, sight unseen. The front drive shaft yoke has some type of vibration damper. I don't think it is needed, no room in the tunnel? What are others doing for the front drive shaft yoke? The T5 looks huge. By the way, the ID tag, is located where the tail shaft bolts to the main case of the transmission. Appears to have an electronic speedometer. I will need to convert to mechanical speedometer. No, don't want to use an electronic speedometer. Moving along, thanks for the help on this. My Bronco 2 engine, cleaned parts, the exhaust ports are small, real small. I know these engines can make power but, those exhaust ports......I do have a Mustang 2 engine and transmission also. Steve V. In Arizona

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
T5 trans.

Hi Steve.
Killer price on the transmission. Hope its in good shape.
It sounds like its a later model with that electronic speedo sender. I chose this because I will be using aftermarket (non stock) gauges in my car including electric speedometer.
...HOWEVER... :( I dont think its possible to convert to a cable drive speedo without going inside the trans and replacing the output shaft with an earlier one that has the proper gear to engage the speedo cable gear. Search this site to find some posts addressing this situation.
Tremec has a web site that you should look at and look up your tag # and other details.
Congratulations on making progress.
....Chuck....

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
T5 transmission

Hi again Steve.
Forgot about the damper. I believe it can just be pressed off the yoke and done away with.:).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

The ports look small, but you need to remember that the displacement is only 171 cu, in. If you want real power from this little dynamo, you´ll need to have the heads ported and polished, with larger valves.

You can have your stock Alpine speedo cable modified, with a mechanical Ford end swedged on to your cable. You´ll need to measure how much of the stock cable you will need to cut the cable to length. (the cable is longer than is needed for this conversion) You will need a 21 tooth speedo gear, but if you don´t use a gear reduction box in the cable, the closest you´ll get to reading actual speed, is 10% fast. A gear reduction box will set you back about $200-$250, but it is the only way to get the speedo to read correctly. T5s up to 2004, can use the mechanical cable without changing the gear on the tail shaft of the transmission.

Jose

mr.vman

Donation Time
T5 transmission

The tag on the T-5 I have is; 236. My understanding is,this is the right T-5 to fit on the Mustang 2 bell housing after "turning down" the front bearing retainer. Also "turn down" the input shaft to pilot bearing end. The input shaft is, 7.85" long. Fifth gear is, .73. I will have to change what in the transmission to use a mechanical drive speedometer? Thanks for the help on this. Steve V. In Arizona

mr.vman

Donation Time
Mike, sorry, posted wrong numbers, the tag reads; 1353-238. As I read the; "All Fords" site, still a 3.8 Mustang V6, different tooth count on speedometer gear than the "236" (I hope). I will need to get the parts to convert to mechanical speedometer. What parts are needed? Thanks, Steve V.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, sorry, posted wrong numbers, the tag reads; 1353-238. As I read the; "All Fords" site, still a 3.8 Mustang V6, different tooth count on speedometer gear than the "236" (I hope). I will need to get the parts to convert to mechanical speedometer. What parts are needed? Thanks, Steve V.

1353 or 1352, 1352 identifies it as a T5
Sorry I mistyped 1352 as 1532 on my prior post

Here is another id tool site
http://www.5speeds.com/t5/

I found this on http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...h-speedo-electronic-has-anyone-done-swap.html

"Any Mustang transmission 98 and older will drive a speedometer cable as long as the VSS unit that you use doesn't have the hole for the speedometer cable plugged up. Again, the 94-98 VSS units are plugged where the cable attaches."

Last edited:

mr.vman

Donation Time
Mike, Looks like the VSS fits where the speedometer cable would attach (left side on tail shaft). Need to remove the VSS and see what is on the end of it. I might do that this afternoon. Once again, thanks for the response and help on this. Steve V.

mr.vman

Donation Time
The T-5 does have the gear drive inside the tail shaft for the speedometer. The VSS, that is driven by the tail shaft gears, has no attachment for a mechanical speedometer cable. I will need to find the earlier bushing to contain the driven speedometer gear in the tail shaft. Thanks for the help on this one. Steve V. In Arizona

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
T5

Sreve,
NAPA has an adapter thingey (technical term) that may be what you need.
NAPA web site part # ech vss306.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

If your transmission is 2004 or earlier, a regular Ford speedo cable end will bolt right up. The electronic sending unit of the later transmissions plugs into and bolts up like a regular cable end will. The electronic unit is driven off of the tail shaft gear, like a regular cable driven speedo cable does.

A speedometer shop can modify your old Alpine cable to work with your transmission.

Jose

The T-5 does have the gear drive inside the tail shaft for the speedometer. The VSS, that is driven by the tail shaft gears, has no attachment for a mechanical speedometer cable. I will need to find the earlier bushing to contain the driven speedometer gear in the tail shaft. Thanks for the help on this one. Steve V. In Arizona