• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Switch to wire wheels

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I have never had wire wheels on my S3 but I think they would be nice to have. Is it a big deal to switch over the hubs and use the wires? What would be a reasonable price for a good used set of Sunbeam Wires, Hubs and Knock Offs.

Any pit falls or is it best to just stay with the standard steels.

Thanks,
Andrew

alpine_64

Donation Time
It's really about personal choice.
Long and the short wires are more work. They take more effort to keep clean, more prone to go out of balance spokes require maintenance to ensure they are in tension and the stock alpine wires are not that strong.

If you go factory you need to pull the hubs and buy new splined hubs.. second hand ones are a waste of time. Parts are available but not cheap.

Now.. there are also some alternatives if you don't mind a slight deviation that I think will make it easier and better.

You can buy bolt on splined hubs. They build to the wheels then you put your splined wire on those. Great on rear as it slightly widens the track and squares the stance. However you have to watch the front as it will mean a wider rim like a 6" will protrude from the guards.

I would also go to a 72 spoke wheel, stronger and better looking and consider a 14" rim ( can go 15 but then you need lower profile tyres)

Mws can help you out or maybe speak to Dayton wheels.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wires look great but they are a pain in the ass. While I never spent the money to have new hubs and wheels - and thus dealt with all of the issues that go with worn ones - I found fewer and fewer tire places had the equipment to mount and balance them. And, of course, with stock wheels you are limited to 13" tires, which severely limits choice. I traded my hubs + cash for a set of bolt on hubs, bought VB's 14" Minilite clones and never looked back.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Thanks Guys, I thank you for the notes. I had a chance to purchase a full set of wires, hubs and knock offs for a good price but as they say, you get what you pay for.

I will stay with the old steels and put my money to some nice tires.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I think wires improve the looks of the car by 48.2%.

Note that the Spridget wires, in the early 70s, look the same and fit the same, but the wires were stronger. That's what I have on my Alpine. I bought them new from Valley Wire Wheel in the early 90's for, gasp $60 a wheel!

The hard part is that if the hubs or the wheel splines are worn, if you put worn ones on good ones, they will wear down the good ones.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I should add that the rear wheel base of the wire wheel car is wider. The wheels are more flush rather than sucked in, like the steel wheels.

I like that look difference too.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I'll see your 48.2%, and raise you to 71.8%.

My 'master plan': Bolt-on adaptors on the back, and authentic hubs on the front. Knock-off spare. All 14" Daytons, maybe stainless? 60-spoke? Not chrome. Back when I dreamed this up, authentic front hubs were pretty easy to get, but rears weren't -- and were also a bit of a project to change. But as I was away for awhile, things may have changed.