• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Rear Bench Trim Question

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Working on the upholstery and I noted this tab-like feature on the rear wheel well. Almost seems like it Is made to retain a clip of some sort on a trim piece, but I have no idea what/how. Does anyone know if it is important, and if so, how everything fits together?

Thanks,
Andy

875053DD-AC8F-419E-8DA5-E9FB9D3B6B18.jpeg

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy, is your car a series V?
It is. I’ve figured out that I’m missing the padded roll along the top of the soft top compartment, and I see the slots for holding that in place. I assume the metal points facing down are to hook in the zippered soft top cover. From what I can tell looking at the decrepit back rest that came with the car, it is supposed to be held in place with some sort of spring clips that push through holes on the vertical panel. These slots, however, are a mystery to me. I originally thought maybe they somehow retained the seat bottom in place, but they seem too high up on the wheel well.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not sure what holds the front edge of the soft top cover in place. I've never had mine installed on my SV. Maybe it is the waist roll? Picture of someone else's car.

1679448819364.png

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, what holds it in place is a series of small thin triangular tabs punched into the metal that forms the rear bulkhead. These tabs face downward and the vinyl on the soft cover is pierced by them and thereby held down by them. These tabs, and thereby the attachment point for the soft cover, are hidden by the waist roll when it’s installed.

alpine_64

Donation Time
It is. I’ve figured out that I’m missing the padded roll along the top of the soft top compartment, and I see the slots for holding that in place. I assume the metal points facing down are to hook in the zippered soft top cover. From what I can tell looking at the decrepit back rest that came with the car, it is supposed to be held in place with some sort of spring clips that push through holes on the vertical panel. These slots, however, are a mystery to me. I originally thought maybe they somehow retained the seat bottom in place, but they seem too high up on the wheel well.
Is this the location of the slot retainer? It does look like the rear waist roll retainer.. but mounted at 90° in the z axis so that it retained something with a horizontal fixing...

mmexport1679458399460.jpg

Paul354

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another photo of the rear Tub but I don’t know about the tabs you are asking about.

While your there be sure to install the straps for the soft top cover which are riveted in place

There used if you have the top up to prevent the cover from dropping into the empty bin.

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_200612631 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230322_200612631 - Copy.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 22

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Perhaps the slots were there to hold slide-in brackets to hang the body when it was being painted at the factory.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is it possible this is an attachment point for the sV GT trim which wasn't offered in the US?

Just a thought,

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did a google search for SV interiors and found some pretty detailed shots of the bench area, on BAT I think. Couldn’t find any pics showing any purpose for those tabs. As mentioned above, maybe they had something to do with the manufacturing process. I just upholstered over the top of them. Unfortunately, looking at Mike’s closeup of the waist roll, I don’t think I took the material up high enough. I might have to make some changes once I get a waist roll in my hands.

C799029A-4CB6-422E-9FF8-BB318B8579F2.jpeg

While your there be sure to install the straps for the soft top cover which are riveted in place

Ha! I never even new those existed. Don’t suppose you have any more pictures/details for those? I know I don’t have even the slightest remnants of those lying around in my parts bins.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I did a google search for SV interiors and found some pretty detailed shots of the bench area, on BAT I think. Couldn’t find any pics showing any purpose for those tabs. As mentioned above, maybe they had something to do with the manufacturing process. I just upholstered over the top of them. Unfortunately, looking at Mike’s closeup of the waist roll, I don’t think I took the material up high enough. I might have to make some changes once I get a waist roll in my hands.

View attachment 28370

Ha! I never even new those existed. Don’t suppose you have any more pictures/details for those? I know I don’t have even the slightest remnants of those lying around in my parts bins.
Sunbeam specialties sells the straps

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Photo of original straps. I bought replacements from Sunbeam Specialties.

1679594333271.png

Mike

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
These pics will be very helpful when I go to installing the interior in my car. It had already been removed when I bought it, so I didn't get the educational benefit of removing it.

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’ve found the holes in the back rest where the straps are riveted, so no problem there. Unfortunately, I’m confused about how they work. What do the hooks attach to? And the snaps?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I’ve found the holes in the back rest where the straps are riveted, so no problem there. Unfortunately, I’m confused about how they work. What do the hooks attach to? And the snaps?
Hooks go on into the small holes in the aluminium retainer strip. The tennax snaps go forward and attach to the pins on the mid of the soft top cover and it holds it up when the soft top is errected

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, there’s a rubbish picture of this in the owners handbook, but the description is helpful.