• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Suspension mods

sunbeam39

Donation Time
Anyone have any info on using S10 front end in an Alpine?!? I am using a 3.4 litre from a 95 camero and heard that S10 front end and rear diff were a good alternative. If so how much fabricating will I need for mounts etc?!?! Looking for some advice.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never heard of using S10 parts, but that means nothing. Expect everything to be too wide, the Alpine is very narrow. Rear axle probably can be narrowed to fit the Alpine with the normal amount of trouble.

Front axle, I'm afraid that would be a different story, a cut to fit type of job. But who knows, maybe a section cut from the S10 crossmember would do the trick. Advice? Start with a butt load of measuring. Make all the modifications to the S10 parts. That way you do not weaken the Alpine subframe and if the project proves unworkable, the Alpine is still intact.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Anyone have any info on using S10 front end in an Alpine?!? I am using a 3.4 litre from a 95 camero and heard that S10 front end and rear diff were a good alternative. If so how much fabricating will I need for mounts etc?!?! Looking for some advice.

Is The front crossmember part of the frame?You must make it like the Alpine's as like bolt in.Also look closely as how the alpine crossmember looks.It is like that for a reason.Of course one can do what one wants as I have had a Mustang II front end in the 62 as well as a very modified crossmember in the Lister.
Safety is the most important thing to consider in all mods.Here we must have a safety done to transfer title.But if you never intend to sell it doesn't matter but wouldn't you prefer to know it meets the standard.

britbeam

Donation Time

The Alpine cross member is very substantial. I would work with modifying to fit the stock cross member. It has served us well for years and the similar type is used under the Tiger and the Alpine V6 conversion with success. Where did you hear about the S10? I dont know of any mods with this setup.
Dwain V6 Krazy

B

beam3948

not worth it?!?

First, I'm not sure where I read it, but it was from another forum. Secondly, the reason for asking is because front end parts/bushings etc are getting harder and more expensive to come by. Therefore, cheaper more abundant parts from either Mustang II or S10 seem reasonable.

However, that said, if the original Alpine suspension will support the weight change, rear diff will tolerate the hp and tourque, and I can find inexpensive parts, then I guess it will stay. What about stopping power?!? Brakes? will they suffice or question for another forum?