• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SUNI Legend Max Pahmeier

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sadly Max Pahmeier succumbed to a longtime illness Sunday morning, November 8, 2020. I wrote the following and welcome any additional stories about Max or any SUNI event that he Championed.

Dedicated to Max Pahmeier
By Jerry Logan

The intensity of focus and immersion experienced by any car enthusiast when they settle into their automobile of choice is universal. We are removed from the squalls large and small experienced in life once the engagement switch is turned on. Serenity saturates our cognitive processes with the nuances associated to our personal land vehicle. Whether we are driving on the open road or the track, whether we engage in repairs at the side of a thoroughfare or in the shop, whether we are reading about a car or conversing with a fellow enthusiast, we all embrace the passion.

Max Pahmerier enjoyed the above sentiment and elevated thousands of Rootes Group enthusiasts to share that spirit at Sunbeam International (Suni) events for 25 years. To all that had the pleasure to attend such an affair there wasn't ever a disappointment. From the opening gala to the closing banquet we were all immersed in the Shangri-La of Sunbeams and Rootes vehicles. To arrange for the inclusion of legendary Carrol Shelby and International rally star Rosemary Smith speaks to the depth of Max's undertaking.

I will share the way Max handled my particular participation at the last Suni in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I brought my Promotional Harrington Le Mans and upon arriving was told to park it with the historic class of Rootes vehicles. What an honor. I later went on the rally to Cripple Creek, Colorado, where upon my parked Harrington's voltage regulator decided to express itself with a stuck set of points. Smoke poured out from under the hood due to wires melting and smoldering. The CCFD showed up ready to engage in the spraying of destructive foam throughout the engine compartment. To the rescue appears Claudia Tripple who told the firefighters to step back while she merely disconnected the battery cable stopping further damage. Finally, I participated in the exhilarating autocross. During the day before that evening's closing banquet I was informed by Max that I would receive the Bad Luck award at the banquet event while others received the well earned awards for Best in Show, Best in Class, trophies for the auto rally, and the auto cross. The celebratory event came to a close and off to home I traveled. I reflected that the Bad Luck trophy wasn't the sought after award one wanted sitting on the mantle, but, would always serve as a reminder of the noteworthy moment in my Sunbeam life. A couple weeks later, via USPS mail, I received a trophy for 1st in the Harrington Le Mans class at the historic showing and another 1st in the Harrington Le Mans class for auto cross. What a considerate gesture by Max. However, it must be noted I was the only Harrington Le Mans in each event. Too funny, but, those mementos provide me with a wonderful memory of Max and his thoughtfulness.

Now another privilege and honor has been bestowed on me from Max and his family. I acquired a 1962 SCCA raced Sunbeam from Max's stable of Sunbeams along with his 45 year collection of Early Alpine parts. As I sorted through the tons of Max's Sunbeam parts I recognized the common spirit we all have. Intense dedication, sentiment, affection, and joy for the Sunbeam marques that can be collectively called, SUNI passion.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry you do Max a Great Tribute for all Sunbeamers.

Thanks for this small wording about him, may it grow with lots of words from others that remember and benefited from his work.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice tribute, Jerry! And, what a wonderful legacy Max has left. I am glad the club's were all able to come together to keep SUNI going in his absence.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice Tribute Jerry. Here's a pic of Max, Graham & Rosemary at the SUNI in Colorado Springs. Also one of your Lemans at Bronco Bills in Cripple Creek that Claudia sprang into action to avert disaster! Noticed we were parked next to you and remember they were looking for you in the restaurant after the incident.All the SUNI's we attended were great and all way look forward to the next. IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0278.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice Tribute Jerry. Here's a pic of Max, Graham & Rosemary at the SUNI in Colorado Springs. Also one of your Lemans at Bronco Bills in Cripple Creek that Claudia sprang into action to avert disaster! Noticed we were parked next to you and remember they were looking for you in the restaurant after the incident.All the SUNI's we attended were great and all way look forward to the next. View attachment 21556 View attachment 21557 View attachment 21558 View attachment 21559 View attachment 21560

Wow, those photos emote a heighten and disturbing memory. To think the incident could have burnt up two other gorgeous Sunbeams. Claudia deserved more than all the flowers, champagne, chocolates, and the speech I shared at the banquet. So I have, post-event, given her a hug and a gracious "thank you" every time I see her.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry to bring back bad memories Jerry. The other thing that was fortunate was that the fire station was right next door! So quick action by Claudia did save the Lemans. I remember that your story on the hard luck made for a long day and trip back to the hotel (been there done that, Smokey mountain dragons tail) Lessons learned - alway carry a coil and have a shutoff switch on the battery.