• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Super Minx wagon

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Aquired a 1967 Sunbeam Super Minx Shooting Brake (Station Wagon) from George Barton. Many may have seen in the Columbus/Dayton area also at the United in Dayton. He had purchased it from Dave Reina back in 2001, has a New Jersey safety sticker from 1992 on the windshield. Had only put 300 miles on it since then. Being that I have other SW (country squires)in the past and had not seen one like this could not resist,so it has a new home. Doesn't require much as it is a driver. 1725, Automatic, new tires and a Dunlop spare with the rubber nubs still on! Looking for windshield and wing window rubber. Plan on taking it to the British field days in Chicago in Sept.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 180

alpine_64

Donation Time
They are a great little wagon... A friend here drives the "Hillman" badged super minx estate...the Rootes support vehicle, complete with full sv alpine spec engine and o/d box. :)

Attachments

• mmexport1503905732887.jpg
    mmexport1503905732887.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 104

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I noticed in the picture that the strip around the quarter panel is polished. Is that how they are suppose to be? Mine is painted body color. Also is there a good source for parts in Australia or New Zealand for Hillman SM?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I noticed in the picture that the strip around the quarter panel is polished. Is that how they are suppose to be? Mine is painted body color. Also is there a good source for parts in Australia or New Zealand for Hillman SM?

The car was an original country car when my friend got it. Had been in a shed for a long time. He hasnt touched the body so trim will be factory as delivered here.

For you 1/4 window rubber a guy in Queensland Australia makes them i think. There is ok parts support in au/nz ... What are you looking for?

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the photo, nice Estate wagon and Alpine photo. I am looking for the 1/4's, rear tailgate rubber (lower) and windshield rubber. Need the piece that connects the windshield chrome together. The other problem is finding the dash wood for a left hand drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 78

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the photo, nice Estate wagon and Alpine photo. I am looking for the 1/4's, rear tailgate rubber (lower) and windshield rubber. Need the piece that connects the windshield chrome together. The other problem is finding the dash wood for a left hand drive. A dash pad is in order also. One issue is how do you get at things under the dash? Since it is mostly enclosed it looks Ike quite a project. Looks like another winter project.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
That's my wagon in the pic with Michael's Alpine.

It's a Mk 2 assembled here in AU by Rootes Australia from CKD parts. The Mk 1 and 2 have the full length stainless mould that runs under the tailgate, a smaller screen and different roof line to your car which appears to be the last of the line Mk 4. Google pics of the Super Minx and you'll spot the differences.

As far as parts go the vent window seals were being reproduced here in AU, contact Frank on schoen@iprimus.com.au They are reasonably well done but there were issues early on with the fit because the mould was reversed on the bottom making them difficult to fit. Shoot him an email to see if he has current stock.

The ply on the dash and the pad itself are NLA so you'll have to get creative there. The screen needs to come out to remove the dashpad similar to the Alpine/Tiger. As far as the screen seal goes try some of the suppliers in the UK, maybe start with Speedy Spares. They have a very good range of mechanical items and some cosmetic/trim items. I highly recommend them. Any mechanical parts common to the Alpine/Tiger you'll find in the US at Sunbeam Specialties or Classic Sunbeam. Whatever you do don't use Rootes Post Vintage in Holland for ANYTHING. Despite the pretty pics on their web site the parts are often of poor quality, their communication is appalling and if something does go wrong good luck getting a refund or any sort of final outcome.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions shoot me a PM.

Lance.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Emailed Frank and he's looking for a set of 1/4 window rubber plus has MK4 screen rubber. Thanks for the contact and advise.
Al

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Superminx parts

Got word from Frank that the screen rubber is done along with one vent window rubber he found. Eric G came through with the upper front turn signal lens & housing at the swap in England, Had the wiring with it also! Never thought He would find one,plus a Super Minx Script to replace the one that's broke. Thanks Eric for your effort. Maybe next year i will get a chance to attend. Hope to have it ready for Columbia in Spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 39

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wagon tool kit and jack

Fixing the license plate bulbs last night and found the jack and tool kit in the tailgate. Tool kit was a little rusty and the bag was weather worn (what do you want for 50 yr old material)since it's cloth wonder if it was a hillman item. No open end wrenches just the spark plug wrench, 2 valve stem removers, feeler gage, hub cap remover.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 43

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Yes, that's the correct tool kit and cloth bag for the Hillman, far less comprehensive that what was offered with the Tiger/Alpines of the same period. The rarest item there is the yellow plastic tyre valve tool.

By the way, the car appears to be finished in Sage Green with most likely a Moonstone or Alpine White turret, a popular combo on the Minx/Super Minx/Gazelle/Vogue etc models.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tool bag

Thanks Lance- Things get a little rusty in the bag since it sat in the bottom of the tailgate. Is there a different place they might have put the bag? Also got the rubber for the windscreen & RH vent from Frank the other day, looks good. Will see if I can get that in this winter. Will have to see if I can find an owners manual for the estate wagon.- Al

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Al,

The tool bag didn't have a specific location in the lower gate, it must have been originally tucked in somewhere so it wouldn't rattle around.

So Frank only had one vent window seal? That's frustrating, did he say he was going to produce more? He has warned purchasers in the past that once stock is finished it won't be re made and then look.....months later there's more to be had. Double check also that the moulding is correct at the base where it bears against the door top. Many of his items are almost but not quite right, but most folks are grateful just to get a replacement for their crusty original. Same goes for the screen seal.

You should be able to pick up an owners manual on ebay UK, they're not wagon specific, just suitable for the MK IV.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Radio & under dash Batting?

Had to take this at night with the aid of a flashlight. The radio is not a sunbeam as you can see. Also there is a gray cloth with white batting under the dash. Thought someone stuffed a T shirt up there. It's the same fabric as the tool bag. I am surprised the mice haven't setup a hotel there.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 53

alpine_64

Donation Time
Al, thanks for the photo. I saw the edge of the ashtray draw under the console in the previous shot, i suspected it might be this setup i have seen it in a few minx sedans and a vogue. I think its a stanpart item.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Batting

Any clue on the batting? I was surprised that there is not a lighter in the dash another option? There is also a burgundy coloured knob with a yellow/black stripe wire attached that is fused. Just a in and out switch any Idea? Cannot find it in the wiring diagram.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Al,

Lighters, clocks, ammeters, radios were options.

Im wondering if your mystery switch may be for aftermarket fog lamps or reverse lamp ( perhaps they didnt know there is a mount for reverse switch on the remote shifter) ?

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Al,

The "batting" or sound deadener seems to have been fitted in place of the hemp and jute version of the earlier cars. I have seen it here in MK III AU assembled Vogues so it may have been sourced from the UK and included in the CKD kits.

Tiger/Alpine owners will have seen the latter variety under their dash, we can only assume that the pillow like batting was either cheaper or more effective at dampening the noise intrusion from Rootes finest four cylinder.... At least it makes less mess as it ages being sewn into the bag.