• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Model collection additions

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Some of the latest 1/43rd scale additions to the collection. The Sunbeam Talbot Lotus is a relatively new model on the market in road trim, a nice IXO model with photo etched parts. The Alpine is the Backlund/Falk Monte Carlo car of 1960. I looked around online and could not find it offered anywhere but Racing Models UK. It wasn't a budget model nor was it 'specialty level' expensive IMO. When I find a new Alpine, with the rarity of them in scale, it's mine.

march2010models.jpg

The packaging was exclusively labeled Racing Models UK. I could be he had them specially commissioned. This is very nice model and also has photo etched parts.
sunbeamalpinemontecarlo.jpg

Then I added the light green Vanguards Alpine with the primered panels etc to the English diarama I've been populating. I did not build the basic diarama and buildings. I just added details and vehicles. Most the equipment, people, tools, oil drums etc were added also. So far the diarama has a Land Rover Defender 110, a Land Rover Series 1, a Range Rover 3rd gen, a Discovery series 1, 2 rally Ford Focus', a Ford RS200, a Jag E-type convertible, the Alpine Series II, a Ford Focus (under a tarp) and a sweet little resin built Lotus Elite.

englishdiaramamar2010.jpg

englishdiaramamar2010a.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
By the way, I welcome suggestions for models I may not have. Alpine models are so few and far between these days as it is.....I have hundreds of Ferrari's and other marques (probably a couple thousand total) but only two shelves hold all my Sunbeams and even they aren't all Alpines. For owning mine for 36 years and to only have about 20-25 Alpine/Tiger models seems a bit lame for someone that calls himself a model collector.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice collection!

But one question... your garage is called the "Vanguard Motor Company", but there's not a single Triumph or Standard-Vanguard present?!

You need one of these, my friend...

!Bn0Pm3!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKioEtlRJtzz(BLlBOr41jQ~~_12.JPG

MyRenown.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I lost my best friend recently and he was quite a TR-6 fan. Time to add a nice one to the diarama then. I already put some P-51 models he built for me on display in a small fighter pit diarama but hadn't considered the car display yet. Good suggestion. Trying to keep it familiar 'era' cars and that would certainly work.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
The latest from Racing Models UK. The '61 Sebring Alpine of Theodoli/Baretti.

sunbeamalpineredno66seb.jpg

sunbeamalpineredno66sebf.jpg

And unrelated to the Beam collection, but none the less interesting, a Looksmart models Lamborghini Canto from Grand Prix Models in the UK. A far more interesting design IMO than the current Audi-ghinis.

lamborghinicantolooksma.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I saw that one on the website.. they are getting their value out of that SII casting.. I iwsh they had got the alpine script a little higher up on the guard.

Maybe they will do some harringtons soon.. and perhaps the HSC55 Tiger.. i'd buy that in any scale.. prefer 1:1 :cool:

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmmmm.....nice model of the # 55 car from the '61 Sebring race, but a few things they didn't get quite right:
1. the font of the racing numbers was distinct - not captured on the model
2. there were two squarish fender mirrors used in the race - not seen on this model, unless they included it and you didn't add it to the car?
3. there was a custom Theodoli badge placed under the Alpine script that I don't see on the model
4. not sure they ran with the cut out vent on the hardtop - have to go back and review some film footage on that one
5. It's Freddie Barrette (not Barretti, as seen on their website)
6. The 55 car ran with two windshield wipers, not one as seen on the model (and facing the wrong way for a LHD car!)
7. And it finished 30th, not 32nd as stated on the website (the #1 Yenko Corvette finished 32nd)

But, still a very nice model - just wish they'd take the extra time to really research things and get all the little details right.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
I saw that one on the website.. they are getting their value out of that SII casting.. I iwsh they had got the alpine script a little higher up on the guard.

Maybe they will do some harringtons soon.. and perhaps the HSC55 Tiger.. i'd buy that in any scale.. prefer 1:1 :cool:

If you like to have Harringtons, try to find "TW collection" they have made Harringtons in metal :43. The models are: Harrington Alpine, 3000RW, Harrington Le Mans, GTR4 Dove' and Daimler Dart Harrington. They were on ebay a couple of years ago.

It's hard to find, every hit is about Tiger Woods and if you put Harrington in the search every hit is about Padraig Harrington.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Yep, it has flaws. However, I haven't seen another one out there offered by someone else......better or worse.

The Sebring site I checked showed the #55 car 31st and confirmed the Yenko car was 32nd, and also confirmed the second driver name spelling ending with an 'e'. Seemed a pretty good site with lots of details and pics of nearly every car entered.

I'll drop that list of details by Racing Models UK and see how he responds....

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you like to have Harringtons, try to find "TW collection" they have made Harringtons in metal :43. The models are: Harrington Alpine, 3000RW, Harrington Le Mans, GTR4 Dove' and Daimler Dart Harrington. They were on ebay a couple of years ago.

It's hard to find, every hit is about Tiger Woods and if you put Harrington in the search every hit is about Padraig Harrington.

Jan,

i have onof the PM models of 3000RW.. they also did the other stock bodied car.. they are about the nicest sunbeam models i think.. pitty they went out of production:

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, it has flaws. However, I haven't seen another one out there offered by someone else......better or worse.

The Sebring site I checked showed the #55 car 31st and confirmed the Yenko car was 32nd, and also confirmed the second driver name spelling ending with an 'e'. Seemed a pretty good site with lots of details and pics of nearly every car entered.

I'll drop that list of details by Racing Models UK and see how he responds....

I emailed racingsportscars.com and asked what they were using as a reference for the results. Haven't heard back yet. I've contributed a lot of those photos for their site for the '61 race. The results reference I was using came from Sports Car Graphic, shortly after the race. They did have a big mess on their hands that year getting the results right - took them quite a while to post final results.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Heard back from Martin re: the discrepancy with the '61 Sebring race results:

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your comments and photos. The problem with the 1961 (and also 1955) Sebring results is that there was a lot of mess, several different versions of official results were published and current version is based on deep research and more competent historians. Particularly, Ken Breslauer (I think he published a Sebring book) and later improved by Janos Wimpffen in his Time and Two Seats book. Janos was also the person who explained me the problem with so many different Sebring 1955 and 1961 results when common Sebring time keepers were not present and there was a complete chaos. I think my results (in fact Janos’s) are the best one anybody can come close to these days.

Best wishes,

Martin

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Got a real confidence inspiring email back from Wim at Racing models UK. This is all he said:

"I have taken note of your remarks,

Thanks"

The English tend to be real petrol heads, seriously. He calls his business by a very specific name...."Racing Models UK". He deals in some roadcars but they are exceptions to his specialty being "Racing" models. Now maybe it's just me but his response reeks of brush off......not what I would expect in a case of as many flaws as were pointed out on an 'English' car as well.

Understandably, the car might by some, be considered a little pricey when considered in US dollars at around $75 (don't quote me, just guessing at the conversion at this point) but in the model world, a car with the details you mentioned included would be more like a BBR or similar brand and they start around $200. Could be in his mind that level of detail for the price range offered wouldn't be compatible. Having said that, you'd think the cars race result and drivers names would at least have been correct.....

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
That ebay item is interesting but 1/18 doesn't really appeal to me personally, too big and takes up a hell of a lot of room. There are a lot of goodies here in the US for 1/18 cars though since they are pretty popular.

Try finding 1/43 accessories sometime....not impossible but not fun.

64beam

Donation Time
That ebay item is interesting but 1/18 doesn't really appeal to me personally, too big and takes up a hell of a lot of room. There are a lot of goodies here in the US for 1/18 cars though since they are pretty popular.

Try finding 1/43 accessories sometime....not impossible but not fun.

I know what you mean with the 1:43 stuff, and when you do find them they are expensive :( .

Regards, Robin.