• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Invasion/SOS Columbia - Parts Room

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks to everyone who brought parts. I got a lot of little odds & ends plus a few parts I requested (wish list) and a late series radiator. Sunday Steve Kirk, Doug, & I headed back to Durham. About halfway home Doug's fan blade decided to grind up his radiator (don't ask how). AMAZING - what are the odds of having a good radiator on hand in the middle of nowhere just when you needed it.

QUESTION - Saturday night there were a few tables with parts still there, so I left a couple of my parts thinking Sunday morning I would see if I could find any super bargains. Sunday morning I found the parts room totally empty. I had a s5 rear wire hub and a s3 right window regulator there. Anyone know what happened to the parts? The front desk said they wouldn't have anything to do with the parts room.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ask Dan Richardson, didn't know who they belong to, now we do. He has them for safe keeping.
Al

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I asked everyone I saw about the parts in the PARTS Room. I found a blue blazer, several parts, the cookie tray and some paper napkins were also taken by me that I did not want lost or thrown away. The Parts Room was closed about 11:35PM, I was the last person to leave. I figured it was not to be utilized anymore because Eric would not be back.

First thing Sunday ( 7:30AM) I started asking who might be the owner of the blazer, the window piece and the hub.

After giving away cookies to all takers, I gave what was left to the Motel Host. As the Parts Room was opened again Sunday by person/persons unknown, I then decided to place the blazer in the Parts Room where I picked it up. If it was still there when I was ready to depart home I would take it and report it, the window piece and the hub on TEAE and SAOCA Forums. The Blazer was picked up.

This is the first opportunity I have had since returning home to visit the Forum.

Please send me a PM, an Email or Call

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
To say that I had an eventful Invasion week end is putting it lightly. But I do underscore Eric's comment above.
Sometimes stuff happens you can never predict, or would expect to happen. My first adventure started when Geo Coleman Steve Kirk, John Miller and daughter Loretta approached Camden. W/ little warning the trans mount, a rubber biscuit type mount separated , dropping the tail and d/shaft down on the cross member; sounded like I had a helicopter in the car. W/ Todd Smiths assistance we had a tow truck on the way and w/ in 2 hours were in Lexington , in Richard Wrights Body Shop. Dan R provided a new mount and soon back on the road. Fast forward, smacked a big pot hole, during which the battery cable somehow contacted the exhaust pipe, burning away the insulation , expectedly shorting out against the ebrake cable, instantlty
discharging the battery. Fortunately we were able to cut the cable and re-route it over the cubby seat and reconnect the battery. A local guy stopped to help w/ a jump. { he is a guitarist for local Who tribute band }. Nice guy. Back on the road to the hotel and shortly the rear brakes lock up, secondary to the welded ebrake cable but at the time we had no idea that had happened. pulled off the road an d disconnected driver side of ebrake linkage and limped to the hotel. Brake problem still not resolved so took off all ebrake assembly and put it in the trunk. Saturday went pretty well and enjoyed the fellowship.
Hit the road Sunday about 11 am, about 1:30 later I rear ended Steve Kirk at a stop sign at the intersection of 220 and I N. Steve has bumper damage, maybe more; My fan went into the radiator and it soon bled out, the alternator belt fried???, but got the car off the road. This repair took awhile, but John had bought a radiator at the swap room, we had enough coolant to refill and a local guy stopped and provide info re: a nearby Advance Auto, so John picks up a new belt, so the world is ok once again. The local guy tells me he has some local refreshment in his truck so I ended up w/ a mason jar of Cherry flavored local brew. Kapow !! Headed on home but w/ in a few miles , coming onto a bridge , not well connected to the highway, a hard bump and my windshield wipers came on. Couldn"t turn off w/ the switch so pulled out again and disconnected the motor. Now repaired but still not sure what really caused that to happen. So, I am happy to be back home w/o anyone being injured during this misadventure. What made it all work was the help, support and concern from everyone involved. Thankyou to Todd, George, John, Loretta, Dennis, Tom , DanR,SteveK, SteveP., Richard Wright and his staff and anyone who assisted. It is a memorable experience.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Geesh, after hearing your tale of whoa, maybe I shouldn't be so bummed my car is still not ready to take anywhere. Glad you had friends around to help.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
This was the first road trip for the car but had been driven locally for about 200 miles. Had changed the trans out for another but did not change the rubber mount. Will not make that mistake again.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
To say that I had an eventful Invasion week end is putting it lightly. But I do underscore Eric's comment above.
Sometimes stuff happens you can never predict, or would expect to happen. My first adventure started when Geo Coleman Steve Kirk, John Miller and daughter Loretta approached Camden. W/ little warning the trans mount, a rubber biscuit type mount separated , dropping the tail and d/shaft down on the cross member; sounded like I had a helicopter in the car. W/ Todd Smiths assistance we had a tow truck on the way and w/ in 2 hours were in Lexington , in Richard Wrights Body Shop. Dan R provided a new mount and soon back on the road. Fast forward, smacked a big pot hole, during which the battery cable somehow contacted the exhaust pipe, burning away the insulation , expectedly shorting out against the ebrake cable, instantlty
discharging the battery. Fortunately we were able to cut the cable and re-route it over the cubby seat and reconnect the battery. A local guy stopped to help w/ a jump. { he is a guitarist for local Who tribute band }. Nice guy. Back on the road to the hotel and shortly the rear brakes lock up, secondary to the welded ebrake cable but at the time we had no idea that had happened. pulled off the road an d disconnected driver side of ebrake linkage and limped to the hotel. Brake problem still not resolved so took off all ebrake assembly and put it in the trunk. Saturday went pretty well and enjoyed the fellowship.
Hit the road Sunday about 11 am, about 1:30 later I rear ended Steve Kirk at a stop sign at the intersection of 220 and I N. Steve has bumper damage, maybe more; My fan went into the radiator and it soon bled out, the alternator belt fried???, but got the car off the road. This repair took awhile, but John had bought a radiator at the swap room, we had enough coolant to refill and a local guy stopped and provide info re: a nearby Advance Auto, so John picks up a new belt, so the world is ok once again. The local guy tells me he has some local refreshment in his truck so I ended up w/ a mason jar of Cherry flavored local brew. Kapow !! Headed on home but w/ in a few miles , coming onto a bridge , not well connected to the highway, a hard bump and my windshield wipers came on. Couldn"t turn off w/ the switch so pulled out again and disconnected the motor. Now repaired but still not sure what really caused that to happen. So, I am happy to be back home w/o anyone being injured during this misadventure. What made it all work was the help, support and concern from everyone involved. Thankyou to Todd, George, John, Loretta, Dennis, Tom , DanR,SteveK, SteveP., Richard Wright and his staff and anyone who assisted. It is a memorable experience.
Long distance trips in an old Alpine can be an adventure! I am recommissioning a series V. When I bought the car I promised the boss(wife) I would make the car safe and reliable, or as reliable as one can make a 50+ year old car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What are the odds that an old Alpine would need a rubber tranny mount that came with the Volvos of 50 years ago??

Doug installed a B18 Volvo engine mated to the OD that utilized he Anchor2424 rubber biscuit mount.

I am an "old" volvo guy, having owned '72 140's and a 164. Still have my '63 P1800 Coupe.

That is where the idea came from to utilize the Anchor 2424 Biscuit for my V6 Conversion engine mounts I designed. Never saw one come apart:) How about that Doug ??