• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine /Tiger: replacing the facia crash pad (Dashboard roll top)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video details how we replaced the dashboard roll top on our Series V Alpine. There are numerous ways to do this job, this is just a record of what we did. It was particularly challenging on this car as so much work has been done on the windscreen frame, front scuttle and A posts. Although it may look like every other Alpine there are subtle differences in shape and the parts are pretty much bespoke to each other to make them fit closely and seal together.

If you need to do this job, this video may help you.

65beam

Donation Time
110_0297.JPG PTDC0153.JPG
This video details how we replaced the dashboard roll top on our Series V Alpine. There are numerous ways to do this job, this is just a record of what we did. It was particularly challenging on this car as so much work has been done on the windscreen frame, front scuttle and A posts. Although it may look like every other Alpine there are subtle differences in shape and the parts are pretty much bespoke to each other to make them fit closely and seal together.

If you need to do this job, this video may help you.

Tim,
The crash pads being sold by Sunbeam Specialties have all of the openings precut including the openings for the defroster vent screws but not the openings for the tonneau studs. The front edge under the windshield requires very little trimming. You can see the cutouts for the windshield bolts. Having everything precut simplifies installation. I installed one of them earlier this year . This is our RHD Harrington and the pad required some trimming at the A post due to this being a series 2 with the brass windshield frame. The second photo shows it after the windshield has been installed. Ignore the date on the photo. I retired the camera I used. It had a mind of it's own. PTDC0153.JPG

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
That is a lovely job you've done there. We used to make our own dash top rolls when there was no alternative available. The pattern part that we have used on the last couple Alpines is okay but takes a fair bit of working to get a presentable finish. What you have looks fantastic and will have been much easier to fit.

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
That is a lovely job you've done there. We used to make our own dash top rolls when there was no alternative available. The pattern part that we have used on the last couple Alpines is okay but takes a fair bit of working to get a presentable finish. What you have looks fantastic and will have been much easier to fit.

Tim R[/QUO
I installed the first one that I bought from Rick somewhere back in the early 90's. The difference between today and 20 years ago is that their is now a very slight excess of foam in the area under the windshield frame that needs to be sanded down for use on later series cars. Not doing this tends to hold the frame up in the front which affects the windshield rake which also makes a difference in the gap between the frame and the wing window.