• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Series III-V & Tiger: Soft Top Installation (SUPPLEMENTAL)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We previously published two videos showing how to correctly fit new soft tops to these cars. We are still seeing a lot of soft tops being ruined or badly installed, including by 'professional' trimmers. If you are fitting, or having fitted, a new soft top, watching this video and the two main installation ones might save you a lot of time, trouble and money.

Tim R

albeam

Donation Time
hi Tim,

You are spot on! when i replaced my top a couple of years ago, the trimmer wanted to argue with me about attaching it behind the B post. he eventually did it the way i wanted but all the excess material was just left hanging down. it still has creases in right hand quarter section bewteen the rear window and the B post.
the top fits but not as good as the previous one i had on it. Hood came from west midlands before they closed up.

albeam

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Albeam,
The number of Alpine owners who have suffered because of so called'professional' trimmers fitting these soft tops incorrectly is staggering. If you go to any classic car meeting and there are a handful of Alpines there and you walk around looking at them it is common place to find at least one that has been butchered!

Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim, As usual I appreciate your videos and this one on the Convertible Soft Top Installation really brought back some awful memories. We don't have any Shops in our area that are familiar with the Sunbeam Alpine. After restoration of my Blue Boy back in 2008-10, I tried to get several shops to tackle installing a top for me.

One such shop bragged that he was the absolute best in installing tops but was reluctant to do the Alpine. All kept putting me off. I observed about every Alpine I found during the British Car Events, taking pictures and asking questions. Only a few were what I would consider adequate and fewer were in my opinion nice. After several years I tackled it myself. It was a real experience but I was satisfied with my inexperience. Next time I will hopefully be a bit better. Again thanks for your efforts to "Keep'em-on-the-Road....

Here are some words to share with you about that "ODD Little Bolt" that is part of the soft top world: I noticed for the first time a few days ago how easily the drain trap under the bronze bracket for the soft top hinge can become clogged causing water to fill up and submerge the "bolt". My Blue Boy's Bolt was not in such bad shape back in 2008 when undergoing restoration.

But several of the parts to the tops I have for my other Alpines are in very bad condition. A friend (David H) called me asking for some replacement bolts he was in need of about a week ago. We discussed the rusty condition and their causes. That is when I searched for and found some of my parts were in need of replacement.

I was in the shop (CenterLine Eng) today with Larry watching him make a bolt for me. That is when I read the SAOCA Forum POST Mark Davis (Volvo Guys) made asking about a source.

My search a few days ago turned up ZERO, so here goes..........I should add that if anyone out there is interested in doing this fabrication, please do so quickly. The first of next week CLEng will be activated.

Repeat! If you are interested in purchasing a pair or more please let me know ASAP.
Here is the portion of the soft top in which you will find the "bolt":

index.php

Pictured below is a bolt that is hardly, if ever mentioned that I know of. Our Sunbeams have them in a place hardly ever noticed. Yet, if you have a soft top it comes into play each and every time you either raise or lower the top.

I am having replacement bolts made to duplicate the "originals". Tentative sell price be around $18 to $20 a pair. The more made, the lesser the price. I have asked for 30 pairs. If interested please let me know ASAP. I will be confirming the quantity for order this coming week.

Attachments

• Sunbeam Convertible top base screw     DSCN1699.JPG
    Sunbeam Convertible top base screw DSCN1699.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 20

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan,

Those pins will be popular!
I am often amazed by how cars that looks really nice, even up close, can quite often have rusted out drains, split drain tubes or even no tubes at all! Because the drain is hidden under the large brass soft top hinge (or solid block on the GT) if the car has never been fully restored it is perfectly possible for the drain to have rusted completely away without anyone ever noticing!

Tim R