• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Series III-V & Tiger Hard top repairs

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video illustrates how we repair hard tops for Tigers or Series III-V Alpines. We are not professionals or mechanics and there will be numerous other ways of doing this. This video is simply a record of what we do and hopefully it may help others faced with repairing rusted out hard tops.
Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Again I picked up some nice tips on repairing and replacing sheetmetal...Thanks Tim!

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes nice photos! What gauge steel did you use? I may have to do some metal repair on my hard top. Thanks for posting.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Tim - thanks for the video. I'm actually in the UK myself and my Series III is almost finished having a full professional body restoration, including conversion from GT to ST. The restorer wasn't keen to repair the hard top, as he considered it not to be cost effective in terms of the time it would take. However, I would like to have it repaired and am thinking of tackling myself. That being said, I have no welding skills although I do have a MIG in the garage and could go on a welding course at a local tech. From your experince, do you think it would be feasible to use the hard top as a beginner's project as part of a course?

Steve G

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Hard top being rare to find and even more hard to rebuild for lack of available replaceable components should be "carefully" handled.

Tim's video is an excellent tool for the restoration of the metal work needed in most of the hard tops I've seen.

I have three (3) of them for my Alpines. One is completely restored and rides nicely on my Blue Boy V6 when needed. One (1) was chemically dipped recently, flushed completely many times, then all the metal work accomplished. POR 15 applied, then primed for painting next. One other was in terrible condition, such in need of repair that I almost gave up. A Metalman friend took on the job and made it like new. The top piece, leading edge was eaten by the metal worms so badly I did not at first have any idea how to fix it. Then the idea came to me to take one of my spare soft top pieces (that fastens to the windshield) and utilize it as a replacement piece. We sat the top on one of my Alpines and built it in place. Fits nicely:)

If you decide "to use the hard top as a beginner's project as part of a course?" I'd say have at it....

You may think about making "extra" replacement parts as you do so.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Billm,

I just went to the local metal shop and matched up a sheet of steel that was as close in thickness to the original as I could find. Then I cut pieces from it and 'let it in' to where the original metal had corroded.

Steve,

I couldn't weld at all when I started restoring my car (
). Rather than doing a course I bought a MIG welder and called some local professional mobile welders until I found one who agreed to come and work on my car and teach me what he was doing and how to do it. He came to my house and worked on my car for several days with me watching and learning like his apprentice. He turned out to be an expert fabricator who can make all manner of panels from flat sheet steel and he is an amazing welder. After a few sessions I was confident enough to work on my own, now I will have a go at most things. I got expert one-to-one tuition and he became a friend who still drops in occasionally and checks up on what I am doing now. It was probably cheaper than a course too. The metal work on my car took two years with me working on her for at least a little while most days. so learning how to do the welding was a good investment.

Dan,

In the UK those soft top front sections are rarer than hen's teeth and priced accordingly!

Best Wishes,

Tim R

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies. The Series III is now completely restored bodily - just waiting for the trimmer to do his bit. The body turned out to be hiding poorly repaired accident damage from some earlier period of its existence, which would have been impossible to repair at home. It has had the front chassis legs, the bulkhead and every panel forward of the windscreen, sills, rear arches and wing bottoms replaced plus the rear valance reconstructed. After such major surgery, I was surprised that the restorer was unwilling to do the hard top as well, but we are where we are. I have seen a lot worse and I am sure it is doable. Perhaps I could teach myself welding as I go along, but obviously I don't want to ruin the hard top with amateurish bodging.