• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine. Permanently curing sump leaks.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video shows how to fit the 'Sliqourice' sump gasket kit developed by Trevor Hibdige in the U.K. . The kit is well made and well thought out. I haven't run the engine yet but I expect it to be 100% oil tight, unlike the original paper and cork set up.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I was interested in this gasket kit and wrote to Trevor to ask about price and shipping. Here's his response:
The kits are £40.00 and shipping to the USA works out at £8.50 and around 5 - 7 working days for delivery. The packaging is designed to fit through a standard letterbox so I don’t normally bother with "signed for" or "tracking" as it adds a lot of cost.

There are two kits; being 1725 and "others" so let me know which h you might need

That works out to about $68, which is high, but probably not against the overall costs of an engine rebuild. Trevor also said he'd knock 10% off for members of the SAOCA and another 5% if we did a group buy. So, roughly $50 each, plus shipping if five guys are interested. I'm happy to coordinate things if multiple guys want at set. We could have them shipped to me and then I'd mail them out individually with local postage. Anyone interested?

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

I have an interest in purchasing the gasket for the 1725.

I think I am missing how you got down to $35 plus shipping for a group purchase, though. The British Pound is about 1.4 USD currently.

Thanks,
Mike

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
It cost me £43 which is around $60 so if you manage to get it that cheap you have done well. The kit is definitely worth the money though.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think I am missing how you got down to $35 plus shipping for a group purchase,
Simple: I got there by being stupid! 35 was in Pounds and I forgot to convert. Make that around $50 plus shippin. I will edit the original post, in case anyone doesn't read all the way down.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
For some reason, I'm seeing this for the first time today! I definitely want one of these kits,
so count me in as well.

If there isn't enough interest, I'll get one on my own.

Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It didn't seem like we had enough for a group buy and I just let it drop, so anyone interested probably best to just deal with Trevor on your own. The good news - at least for us Yanks - is that the pound has lost value against the dollar since I started the discussion, so they will be cheaper now.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has there been any long-term reviews on this sump kit? I doubt anyone here would be using any oil with high mileage additives which could negatively effect the rubber, but worth asking...

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
FYI - Using high mileage additives will ruin the timing chain tensioner rubber. I believe the sump kit uses some silicone material, not rubber. I think the interesting question is whether the silicone material has long term resistance to petroleum and gas.

Mike

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have had the silicone sump seal kit on our Alpine since 2018. We also have the timing cover oil seal kit from Alpine Innovations. Both have been completely oil tight and show no signs of degradation. We have covered 7,400 miles in the car since we fitted these modifications.

Tim R

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Before going to any great expense I would recommend asking for a sample piece of the gasket and carrying out your own experiment by submerging in a jar of gasoline and checking the results after say 24 hours then after a week. A number of years ago I made silicone gaskets for the tappet chest and rockerbox but with the introduction of ethonol in our fuels reverted back to paper, which if done correctly is just as good. Pete

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Pete, I'm not sure why you want to test the sump seal in gasoline? Unless there is something wrong these seals are only being exposed to oil, which can be the same type of oil as the car has always had. The silicone sump seal kit that we purchased came with much improved seals to go over the bearing caps and with studs to ensure the seal is located correctly. Having an oil tight Alpine engine is a great improvement.
Tim R

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Tim Mike was asking how well silicone stands up to gasoline and you don't have to look too hard to find information,
Most of us have had a fuel pump diaphram go, that would be enough to contaminate the oil to cause the silicone to start breaking down.
upload_2022-2-6_15-34-42.png

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you have enough gasoline in your engine oil to quickly attack a silicone sealant, gasket failure will be the least of your problems.

Last edited:

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting....years ago, my VW beetle gas tank leaked from a rust pin-hole. I was late for work as a result, but I pulled the tank, sanded it, and sealed the area with RTV. (I used orange GMS, general motors sealer). I cured the patch with the heat from a heat lamp, fueled up and drove to work.... that tank was still sealed when I sold the car eight or so years later. Perhaps some RTV products are better than others.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Before I got a bit smarter on the ethanol gases, I had two new fuel pumps go out on my Blue Boy with the 1725 engine. One had about 400 miles and the last one had less than 20 miles.

I have also had new fuel lines disintegrate after a few months with ethanol fuels. Just make sure you get a product that is resistant to our new "government mandated crap".

I for one will not run ethanol in any 2 or 4 cycle engine I own.