• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Mechanic Oakland Bay Area

Ron57

Donation Time
My 62 Sunbeam Alpine has been sitting in garage. When I got in to drive on Thanksgiving, the clutch is not disengaging. Looks like slave cylinder failed. Any recommendations.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
How long has it been sitting? Does the resovoir have fluid?

Another question would be put it out of gear with the E-brake off and ssee if you can roll it. Clutch dis might be stuck to the flywheel....

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Another question would be put it out of gear with the E-brake off and ssee if you can roll it. Clutch dis might be stuck to the flywheel....

I’ve had this happen too if my SIV sits too long.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you determined the clutch slave has failed, I would send the clutch slave out to be sleeved and get a rubber rebuild kit from one of the Sunbeam suppliers. I used Apple Hydraulics for sleeving my series V clutch slave.

Mike

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Ron: Can you start your car in neutral? If so, the clutch has likely stuck to the flywheel and you probably don't need a mechanic to break it free. As long as you can get the car to somewhere you have space in front of you, start the car in neutral and warm it up. Then turn off the ignition and quickly put it in second gear and engage the starter again. That will pull the car forward and frequently free the clutch from the flywheel. Then drive it a bit as normal. It has been a while since I had to do this (and even longer since I pulled the transmission and manually freed it up, prior to learning that wasn't necessary), so I may have a step or two wrong, but it is a common problem when the car sits for too long and I am sure someone here will correct me, if necessary.