• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine II radio console

Lutz Hamburg

Donation Time
Hi,
I would like to mount an 1960s radio in my Alpine from 1962.
Have someone an Idea, how to mount this under the dashboard?
Maybe someone has a drawing from a original radio console to rebuild one or can offer me one?

Best Lutz

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I notice there is not any response to your request!

I have a SIV that has the original factory radio.

If you can tell me if it is the same I'll get you some info.

Or if not the same it might be of some benefit to you any way.

I'lltry to get a few PIC's and some description.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Lutz, My name is Dan, I made a post after it seems no one had given you an answer to your question.

I have an original '65 SIV Alpine that has the original radio and console.

I took it out of the car and just finished taking pictures of it so that you may be able to see what is needed to mount your radio.

If you would like the pictures I'll need your E-mail address because I can't up load them on the Forum very well.

Hope you can resolve your problem,

65beam

Donation Time
console

dan,
the early model mounting is different than what was used in a series 4.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, I was not knowledgeable of what would or would not work. Thanks for the fill-in on the mount. I learned something today.

I tried also to look at your reference but could not find it.

Did Lutz get what he needed from your site?

I pulled my radio out just to help, but it needed cleaning after all these years any way!:D

Just trying to help a fellow member.

By the way, does anyone ever ask for a mount for the radios in our SIV's and SV's. Seems to be fairly simple to make one (if you had an original). Might try it just for fun.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan I think your next project should be to repro the entire speaker box and radio faceplate as well as the mounting bracket! Originals are hard to find and expensive.

65beam

Donation Time
console

dan,
if you go to my photobucket and click on page 18 you'll see the early radio mount in my harrington. I don't have any photos of how it mounts but you'll see the difference between the early and late style. it's not as wide as the later units. I remember that the section for the radio has tabs near the front to mount it but since I installed it 30 years ago I can't remember much more about it. it does have an old kraco radio with cassette player instead of a sunbeam radio. the speaker box is a cardboard material. the car is stored on skates with other sunbeams within 6 inches of it and a couple feet of snow piled up against the doors so I'm not able to even get near the car. I believe eric has the same mount in his Harrington so you might be able to check it out sometime. I agree with eric about making reproduction radio mounts. I would consider a couple.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a guy in UK who is doing quite good repros of the Radio consoles . Not cheap though but good stuff. Wonder why Lutz is not checking via our german club at first but anyhow...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Robert, I finally found the correct page AND the radio! Defintely different style and size.

65sunbeam ... To repro the entire speaker box and radio faceplate as well as the mounting bracket is out of my area! I can only imagine what "a new" faceplate would cost. As hard and expensive as Originals are to find, what do you suppose would the demand for the "new" ?

I worked a bit tonight on "copying" the mount bracket for the SIV & SV radios. I believe I can fabricate the bracket that holds the radio in place with out too much trouble. Appears to be 18 - 20 guage metal. Called a friend about having access to a shear and brake. Will play with it in a week or so. My faceplate is quite odd in the manner of the holes shape and size. If the material could be found that matches it the rest would probably be a snap.

bernd_st ... What's the contact info for your guy?

DanR

P.S. Still looking for the metal for the Hard Top Quarter windows

alpine_64

Donation Time
early series radio consoles

The early radio console setup always has a bit of mystery, largely as Rootes seemed to not do brochures with them in it. We all know that on the S3 onwards they used the Stanpart derived setup with the upside down trapezoid shaped part with ribbed metal face plate. Funnily enough in one of the later SII road tests in the UK the car has a radio console and indeed its the Stanpart style one we associate with the later S3 onwards cars.. but using a different speaker box..

Some of the early SI/II road test articles also show setups similar to those in bobs harrington.. but with detail differences. It would be really nice to know if Rootes actually had a specific setup for the early cars or if at that point it was more by dealer/country as to what was used.

That said.. A late SII could have used the S3 onwards style mounting plate as they were available as they had been used in Heralds and Vitesses for a while by that point already. :cool:

65beam

Donation Time
console

there were several different rootes radio combinations that dealers sold. several years ago I sold ian one of the NOS speakers that I have that are roughly the width of the later speaker units but the back cover is in the shape of a V. they also have a chrome grill. never did see what car he used it in. they were used in some of the sedans and also were used under the small black radio mounts. I know some will say they were not factory correct but they were all rootes dealer installed items.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Hey Dan I occasionally reproduce the Smiths Consoles here in the UK. If you are going to hand produce them to original spec I think you'll find that although not difficult, they are quite time consuming, I now have them Laser cut and NC machine folded to help out, but there is alot more than just the metalwork On top of it all the real killer is the cost of international Shipping

A Question for Series II owners, Do the Early Series cars have the bulkhead to lower crash pad arms the same as the later Series cars and Tigers and are the crash pads similar? Thanks
Pete

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Hi,
Maybe someone has a drawing from a original radio console to rebuild one or can offer me one?

Best Lutz
I have a S3 (don't know if it's the same) and the radio/speaker and mounting unit is out right now. If you want pics let me know. Tony.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I sent out some PIC's of my radio.

Adding some data for those interested.

It's 12 volt positive ground Serial # C436234 Model 980 SMITH RADIOMOBILE made in England - S Smith & Sons (Radiomobile) Ltd London NW 2

Installed in B94103819 LRX OD 70

DanR

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi,

Best Lutz
I am in florida and have a series 11 Alpine being restored....It has an original radio housing with a british radio....It is on my parts shelf and I can send you photos and dimensions if you want.....mike Schreiner Jupiter, fl (561) 452-5906 mikeflbmer@yahoo.com