• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine; Fitting and Understanding Twin 40 DCOE Weber Carburettors

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have just published a video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel that covers Trevor Hibdige explaining how to fit Weber Twin 40 DCOE Carburettors to an Alpine and how to tune them specifically for YOUR driving needs.

Lots of people struggle to get Twin DCOEs really performing well. It is common to hear complaints of flat spots, poor idle and general problems, yet when they work correctly Twin DCOEs are arguably the pinnacle of performance carburettor development before most manufacturers switched to fuel injection. At every classic car race meet you will see numerous cars fitted with them.

Rootes did not fit DCOEs to an Alpine but they did fit them to various other cars with the 1725cc engine such as the Hunter GLS and the H120. Retro-fitting them to an Alpine is something that has been popular ever since the very first ‘Alpine Guide’ was published over 40 years ago but for various reasons fitting them to an Alpine can be problematic.

Trevor Hibdige has them on his own Alpine, he is an engineer, chemist and successful classic car racer. He is a big fan of Weber DCOE carburettors and knows them inside out. He machines and 3D prints rare and unavailable components for them and will help anyone who is trying to optimise the performance of DCOEs on their car. We thank him for sharing his extensive knowledge and expertise in this video.

This is an hour long video that as well as showing a full DCOE strip down, explains how your carburettors are working in day-to-day driving, it is edited down from several hours of conversation. To really appreciate it, don’t watch it until you have the time to sit down and give it your full attention. You won’t be disappointed.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
You two are champions for bringing this to the Rootes community.

I have four sets of DOCEs with two different manifolds (2 modified Holbays - 2 Redline). Now I can incorporate new knowledge to properly tune and maintain them. As for the wing brace for a modified (to get the proper 5 degree level) Holbay intake. I moved the brace arm's wing mount up from the original position and did a compound angle modification to the brace arm.

upload_2022-11-6_9-45-52.png

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm really glad that you found the video useful. A huge amount of work goes into making each video and hopefully we are laying down a video workshop library of key knowledge that will be available to all Alpine owners for many years to come.
Tim R