• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Club during the 1980's

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Ruth Bash started this club in California in the early 80's. She also started a registry of both Alpines and Tigers. She passed away over 20 years ago. About 10 years ago I got her registry note books and some
membership cards and decals from a good friend of hers when I bought a large number of Sunbeam books including a copy of the Book of Norman. Today I found the decals and cards in a desk drawer of mine and thought I would share them with you. To the best of my knowledge, this club was the first dedicated Sunbeam Alpine club in the USA and it pre dated the SAOCA by quite a few years. Are any of you former members of her Sunbeam Alpine Club?
If so I can scan your old membership application form and send it to you for memories.
DSC04983.JPG

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I still have a bunch of their Newsletters, plus the above decals. They were a sizeable club at their peak. I vaguely recall them exceeding, conservatively, 400 dues-paying members. Jack & Ruth Bash were great people. They took their Orchid Green SV on many long trips (eg. Bay Area to Canada). I met them at a Sunbeam Northwest event in Oregon. Stoney Barnes did the monthly Newsletter most of the time. Stoney's quirky humor (eg. long-running cryptic references in his columns to "fish abuse.") had some people scratching their heads, but he kept it interesting.

Like most clubs, they had a small core doing all the work. Too small. When a few key members left, it went downhill quickly.

Last edited:

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for adding more to the history of this club. I did meet them at the first SUNI in 1989 and they were busy adding car info to their registry then.

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was a member. PM me, and I will send my info.
My car was featured on the cover of one of the news letters.