• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is the jig I made to make new motor mounts, one set of holes for the original location and a set 1/2" lower.
Jig.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
New lowering mounts all done and painted, looks like I will get a break from the rain to install them. The Polyurethane bushings are greased to prevent any noise and keep them lubricated.
100_5499.JPG

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are some better shots of the mounts side by side with the original ones before install. They fit perfectly! Engine lowered about 5/8 - 3/4"
100_5500.JPG 100_5501.JPG

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The front idler plate had to be 1/2" taller to attach the top bolt to the front of the head. 5/16" thick material was added.100_5509.JPG

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just ordered an Aluminum coolant reservoir tank as the plastic factory one is weak at best. Don't want to take any chances of overheating because of a cheap plastic container. Once I have it installed, the coolant can be filled as well as the intercooler cooling system. Got the plug for the pump so I can get that wired and ready to go.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Hard to see, but the top of the supercharger was touching this bracket on the firewall. Now with the lowering mounts, I have clearance and there is a finger's thickness between the oil pan and crossmember.

Attachments

• supercharger clearance.JPG
    supercharger clearance.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 12

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the Koyo™ radiator installed for better cooling. Will also change out the coolant reservior (Plastic) to aluminium which should arrive today.radiator.JPG

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Two steps forward, one step back. It turns out that the power steering pulley is too large in diameter and does not clear the supercharger pulley alignment. Took the pump apart and pressed out the pulley to find a smaller diameter one. Speedway shows what I think will work. The factory one has an outside dimension of 5-1/16" and where the belt rides is close to 4-1/2". The one that was ordered measures 4-1/4" with the same bore diameter. Fingers crossed that I can make it work.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is what I am dealing with, because the power steering pump is attached to the motor and the supercharger is attached to the head (1/2" Taller). If the smaller pulley does not work in my favor, I will have to make a different mount for the pump to move it closer to the engine block. You can also see where I removed material from the left side for clearance and there is plenty of meat there if I need to take out more.Belt Clearance.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You are correct Brian, unfortunately there is no documentation for using this setup on the larter motor. Learn as I go, the smaller pulley should arrive today so it can be looked at to see what else needs to be done to make it work properly.
Your car is coming along rather nicely!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
New pulley arrived and it looks good! Will know after I press it on in the next couple of days.Smaller power steering pulley.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I was able to get the pulley pressed onto the pump shaft, but the offset of the center pushes the pulley out too far forward. Took it apart and chucked it up on the lathe to remove excess material from the backside. Took off as much as I cound and that got it within 1/4" of where it needs to be. Now I am looking into modifying the bracket to accomplish two things 1) raise the entire pump to match the clearance of the supercharger 2) move the pump back towards the firewall 1/4".

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I moved the bottom mounting hole 1/4" over and 1/2" up then tapped it (8 X 1.25). Then I cut the top off, attached it to the pump then I attached the pump to the lower hole and tacked in my filler piece. Removed the pump, got it welded, sanded and painted.bracket.jpgbracket mod.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
All went well with the pump belt clearance, need the weather to let up so I can snap a picture of everything installed.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Okay, I have a good amount of clearance after all that! The first picture is where I had to shave excess material from the head just below the valve cover, second shows the clearance from the supercharger and water pump pulleys.
IMG_20230206_094900853.jpgIMG_20230206_094854704.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Update, got everything together and wired the pump so I could move the car. Need to replace one of the radiator hoses as it is not the correct formed one to fit correctly. Then onto programming the ECU to start the car.