• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Success!
The original ECU did the trick, WooooHoooo.
Now I have to swap out the engines between the two cars and get the silver one sold and outa here to make room for some fabrication.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations. There is a reason the only computers that will be found in my alger are in my phone and the stereo. I thought about adding fuel injection, but am going forward with a carburetor for now.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Scored a like new barely used tire machine and balancer!
Now I can do my own and they are just handy to have around.
Hunter has a really good reputation and they nice thing about this model is that it will not hurt alloy wheels and has four "legs" that hold the wheels from underneath with rubber feet. Heck this is the firs machine I have ever seen that you don't even have to remove the center carp.
IMG_20230512_065450499.jpgIMG_20230512_065457353_HDR.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now wait a minute. You don't have enough garage space to work on your car indoors, but you have enough for a tire machine?

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Started to disassemble the Silver car to move everything over to the blue car. It looked like the engine could have come out the bottom with the Supercharger attached, but it is too close so not going to chance it. Should have the drivetrain out by tomorrow. Things are always easier the second time around.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Silver car is now running with the alternator overcharging, need to check all the ground connections to make sure I didn't miss something. In the meantime I was able to get the 2.5 motor with the supercharger mounted along with the front subframe installed. It was tight and it was close but much easier and faster then installing the supercharger in the car. I will only work on the car a partial day today and check the ground connections to figure out the charging situation. Oh, yeah forgot to mention, NO LEAKS!! Ha

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Overcharging problem solved!
I found a PCM fuse that was blown, car probably came that way to me. Regardless, it now runs perfectly and no CEL. Next step is pairing two new keys and key fobs for the next owner. You guessed it, time for a road test before selling it.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Silver car is back together and road worthy as of yesterday. The PRHT on these cars is nothing short of amazing! Back to the project car, got it started and found a leak, waiting on a new gasket before I can continue and get going on the body work.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Found a coolant leak, after an hour got if fixed. Still waiting on a part from Los Angeles ordered last week on Monday thanks to feebay™
This motor was using the engine coolant to also cool the motor oil via a module that sits on top of the oil filter housing. When I took the motor out of the silver car and started to reassemble the Supercharger I didn't like the way all those hoses were running. Also wanted to get them closer to the motor mount and out of the engine bay and the easiest way to do that was to forego the oil cooler. When that was done the oil filter housing had to be changed and I used the same metal gasket. Apparently that is leaking (Stamped steel). I am itching to start on the body!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the motor started in the Blue car and did the first start, initially there was an episode of blue smoke. I called the seller of the motor and was advised that they put some oil in each of the cylinders to prevent moisture damage PHEW!
After that a miss was detected and I could smell raw fuel out of the exhaust pipes. Further testing found a defective coil. I am going to go ahead and replace all 4 at this time.
Shoppping at rockauto™ would have cost almost $34 plus tax and shipping for ONE. Amazon had a set of 4 for $50 plus tax and free shipping if you are a prime™ member. Then another set of 4 was found on Feebay for $25, so those are on the way.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Ignition coils arrived and got installed, fixed that problem. Now I am going to replace the fuel injectors to take care of that raw fuel smell in the exhaust. Will replace the injector connecters with new ones at the same time to make everything right.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Good news, bad news. The previous owner really let this car go to the point of having a leaking fuel injector AND a dead coil which in the end caused the head gasket to blow!
All good now with 4 new spark plugs, 4 new ignition coils and 4 new injectors. All that is left for the car to be mobile on it's own power is to bleed the clutch slave.
The engine is a larger 2.5 litre later model, the parts that failed were taken from the blown motor.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Time to get this show going!
Now that I have a tire machine and balancer, the wheels and tires need to be on the car to check for fit and clearance.Passenger fender first look.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
235/40R17 Tires mounted and put on car to check for clearance. It looks like a good fit and will not have to enlarge the wheel opening at all.
The fender will sit about an inch or so lower ones it is mated to the car. It was apparent the the lower valance is the limiting factor so it will be remade for a better look and fit.
2354017.jpgmock up.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Brian,
The standard Alpine tires are 23.4" tall by 6.5" wide, the ones on the car are 24.4" tall and 9.3" wide. The wheels widen the track about 2" which helps.