• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, Thanks
Somehow during taking off the blower from the donor car I cut my thumb at the front edge near the side of the nail. That was three weeks ago and it is still healing. At least the pain is now gone and it is not sensitive any more.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Good suggestion. Got after it on Wednesday morning for about two hours and could not feel my fingers so, called it quits. Yesterday was quite productive as I was able to get the factory intake off, Power steering pump, throttle body, air box etc.
Mounted the preprogrammed ECU and was finally able to get to the hidden heater hose at the back of the block. The factory system as well as the forced induction make use of the EGR. I capped it at the block and made a block off plate for the back of the blower. Not only will that stop the exhaust gases from going in the intake, but will keep things cooler. Shipping has brought me a new steering wheel, intercooler, intercooler pump and shift knob. Will try to get more done today it if the sun shines even for a little bit.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Keep that thumb coated with Neosporin as often as possible and you will see the healing take place.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Ending up spending Saturday selling a 1971 Hemi motor with an 8-71 blower and two holley dominators. I was working on a 1968 GTS Dart that the motor was going to used for that but ending up selling the car. Now I can focus on getting the coolant lines rerouted to make room for the blower and get it on the engine and start testing for leaks before starting the engine.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You are right, this one especially as it was a factory replacement block with no vin number stamped on it. Kind of like finding hen's teeth, it went to a good home just north of San Francisco.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Too funny!
Some progress and some setbacks. The supercharger install is done with everything in place minus the intercooler and pump/plumbing. At this point the idler plate needs to be modified as it was designed for the 2.0 motor. Since I have a 2.5, the head on the motor is 1/2" taller, my metal supply shop is closed for the holidays, so that will have to wait so I can make new motor mounts to lower the engine 1/2" and add some material to the top of the plate for that last bolt. Other than that, was able to find a factory Bose™ radio, amplifier and speakers. Also need to check the transmission fluid as some was lost during the clutch install.
Merry Christmas to all my Alpine Brothers and Sisters!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Time to decide which wheels to use. The polished ones are 18X10, others are 17X8. They all have the correct offset/backspacing.IMG_20221225_130444917.jpg IMG_20221225_130456162.jpg Which wheels do you like the best?

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_130540271.jpg
    IMG_20221225_130540271.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 5

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is a picture of the factory mounts and a napkin drawing of the new mounts. Drove to the metal supply shop and they are closed until the new year. Factory mounts.jpg IMG_20221228_080646657.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Finally got started on the new motor mounts and picked up some more flat stock to make a jig so the geometry does not change. I need to remove the mounts that are in the car now to make the jig. Mother nature has other plans as far as letting in sun shine through for the next 7 plus days.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I was able to get a time slot in to remove the motor mounts from the car. Made a jig to get everything lined up correctly, picture attached of the saddles that will attach to the crossmember. The polyurethane bushings will attach to them once.

Saddle Mount.jpg