• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
First time taking a motor out of the bottom, tried the top and it could not be done as there is a crossmember directly in front of the motor. That left no room to bring it forward to clear the firewall.Out the bottom.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
First Sunbeam 2000 was using a Honda S2000 chassis, second series Sunbeam 2000 is a Maita chassis. A lot less fabricating in regards to the PRHT.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for that link, too bad by now it didn't get done. Mine is a different approach as you will see in the coming year.
First order of business was to remove that bulky countebalance assembly and plug the oil supply line from the 2.5 litre motor.

IMG_20221027_131912573_HDR.jpg IMG_20221027_132622728.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I was ready to attach the transmission to the engine and it just wasn't cooperating so I stopped for a day. Went back to it the next day to go over everything and it turns out they sent me the wrong clutch disc, waiting on a replacement, UGH

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Input shaft.jpg 5 speed disc.jpg It turns out that the 5 speed clutch disc has a smaller diameter input shaft. Of course mine is the 6 speed. Waiting on feebay to send the correct one.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The correct clutch was supposed to arrive on Thursday and that got pushed out to Friday at the last minute. FecEx™ finally delivered it after 6 pm, that killed Friday. I spent Saturday attaching the transmission to the engine and getting the entire subframe back in the car. The removal of the struts gave me enough room to get it done quite easily. Now to mount and attach everything.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds like you are making good progress. I am out of town for plant start ups the next two weeks, so I won't be able to do anything on my project.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Shipping these days is very eratic, I have been waiting for over a week for a shipment that shipped as 5 day service. Oh the times we are in, can't wait to see how FedEx™ , UPS™ and the USPS™ fare this holiday season.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Finally got the sway bars yesterday, installed them today along with a Koyorad™ thicker core radiator. The factory sway bar links were toasted. The front bar is set at full hard and the rear bar at the softest setting. I don't like oversteer.Sway bars.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just picked up some really nice Mustang wheels that are 18 X 8.5 that will have to go on the first SUN2K as they are too big for the Miata chassis. Will move the current ones to the Miata.
Too cold to go outside and take a pic so here is one from the net LOL
images

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I put out some feelers on a really nice supercharger setup that is no longer available and found one! Will know by the end of this week if it happens.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Yesterday I finished up removing the supercharger and all associtated parts as well as a full set of Bilsteins (free of charge)!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Those thumbs can be most troublesome when not well and without their use the hands are lacking a grip.

Hope the thumb heals quickly. I am begining to have a routine ache in mine due to age it appears.