• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike, thanks for the info.
Mine, you can barely make out the B but the rest of the numbers are legible. Again, why does the Pink slip show SAS3 before the BXXXXXXX? I don't see that on the tag at all and it does have the original rivets
Guy

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Seems to me that maybe when originally titled that the dealer inventory numbering got included in the vin. SAS364B = Sunbeam Alpine Series 3 64. But that’s just a guess. No computers then.

You might try putting a piece of paper over the vin tag and rubbing with a pencil. It could reveal the B prefix.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
That makes sense now, the "B" is barely legible. Thanks to Geoff on here that pointed me to a Vin verifier who turns out to be a neighbor and got that part done!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just got back from DMV and all done, new title coming in the mail. Walked out with plates and stickers WoooooooooooooHooooooooooooo!
The 64 is good to go

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations. From the stories I've heard, you got lucky. Maybe run out and buy a Powerball ticket while you are hot.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
This latest aquisition is too nice to cut up, so I will be going a different direction that might surprise some of you. Will know more tomorrow

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was hoping you wouldn't chop up that series 3, as it seemed too nice. But it is your car to do with what you want. :)

Mike

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
I hear you and the ad was posted here hoping somebody would grab it, but nobody did. Agreed that it is too nice shape to cut up. Currently looking for an early rear clip locally. If anybody wants this car to restore, be my guest. I really only need a rear clip with trunk lid.
Guy

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ok, I'll play devils advocate here. I am all about original, tight Alpines and Tigers. I have owned my Alpine for 44 years now, and my blood flows Rootes. I have of course "upgraded" my Alpine with Holbay engine and some mix and match of Series to what I think it the best of all combos. My Tiger doesn't have the original intake, carb or bonnet - though it is stock 260 and cam.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the more "creative" modifications people have done to their Alpines and Tigers. And I want to see as many saved as possible. We have an S2000 (full Mugen) and so love the engine. However, I think it is overkill for the Alpine. For engine alternatives, I think the V6 is great and John's Miata Pine is amazing. A full electric might be interesting.

However, let's be honest. Alpines are not ever going to be worth a lot of money. We're already past the sweet spot, and it's just not going to happen. And there are plenty of very straight, and complete Alpines out there for restoration - or just to get in and enjoy now. And to be further honest, this S3 is a bit of a mess. That front end is a disaster - a lot of money will need to go into stripping off all the bondo and reshaping the crumpled metal underneath. It's of course very incomplete. I'm assuming it has no notable history to consider. So I don't see that there is any good reason for you to wait to see if someone will "save" the car - mostly because I don't think there is any good reason to save it.

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the car was on the east coast, it would be a consideration for me, as I'd like to a do a series 3 restoration as my next project. I'm assuming my next car will need to go on the rotisserie and I will be good with some things being custom instead of stock. I already have a stock car. The series 3 production was the most limited and a nice mix of early and late styling, so it's nice if decent ones are salvaged.

Mike

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Jay,
Points taken as I am sure purist do not like any kind of modification, especially a concours vehicle. As Mike stated, it is the early longer rear fins that make the Series 3 stand out. For me the front end of all the Sunbeams changed very little besides Bumpers, overriders, grills and front turn signals. Since the SUN2K is pretty much done except for final paint and polish and many of you have gone the Miata engine and transmission route. The consideration at the moment is instead of using the Miata power plant, using the Sunbeam body. The 2006-2015 MX-5 Miata have a factory rated horsepower of 170, the automatic can be had with paddle shifter, standard 5 X 4.5" bolt pattern, 4 wheel disc brakes etc. In all the NC is what they are also called is a well balanced car, looking for a parts car now before I pull the trigger.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Still looking for a donor to kick off the next project. The MX-5 is too nice to modify. In the meantime I took out the Koni™ shocks and lowering springs, replaced them with the stiffest OEM springs and OEM shocks. Also replaced the front sway bar links with adjustable Heim joint links.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Took the car up to Mendocino, Fort Bragg and Ukiah this past weekend via the Golden Gate Bridge. Packed with a collapsed dog crate, full size cooler, suitcase, food etc. Everything fit in the trunk to my surprise. Car did not miss a beat and yes, did not have to stop for gas LOL

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
When I loaded up the trunk for the trip home, one of the relays in the trunk got disconnected which prevented the deck lid from closing. I had tools with me and was able to close it for the drive home. There was no way that trunk was going to be unloaded to redo. Today the relays got moved to a more out of the way place so that won't happen again.