• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sabertooth, Do you plan to do A/C?

If so, COLD AIR has a box that is 12x12x8 inches with heat and air.

DanR

P.S. Do you still have the frame? If so, I might be able to pick it up on the 9th of Sept (right after the British car show in Norcross.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
It has been a very busy week, I have the top crossmember located properly now. Had to move it back and down some to allign it with the top of the windshield. Got the top of the windshield catch and latches installed, works good manually. Installed a filler panel to blend the two together since they are slightly different. It is a tight fit, but it will work for sure. The top of the gas tank had a cover on it from the trunk side, that cover had to be trimmed and I will need to lower the gas tank about 3/8" for a little extra wiggle room just to be safe. Also had to trim the top of the wheel wells some, will work on making more room there. Will post pics at the end of today or tomorrow. It is going to be NEAT!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are some pictures of the progress so far. Eye candy :)
Enjoy!
I am still looking for a locking gas cap if anyone has one please. Does not need to function, even better if you don't have the key. Let me know

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_144410.jpg
    IMG_20170911_144410.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20170911_144553.jpg
    IMG_20170911_144553.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20170911_144718.jpg
    IMG_20170911_144718.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 102

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ok, on the one hand, I think this is crazy. On the other hand, my complaint about the Alpine design has always been that it looks too much like the Renault boat car - with the short front end, and the long tail. The rear of the car always seemed to go back way too far - especially compared to the MGs, TRs and AHs. My Alpine seems to reduce that because I have a chrome roll bar, and possibly that it is a S3 yet using non-peaked headlight rims.

That said, since the S2000 has that longer front end, your redesign may very well capture that needed longer front end, more proportionate to the rear.

Here is a shot of my car and the original design by Howes that was intended to have a flowing back look, like a tear drop from the front to the tips of the fins.

Attachments

• Demon and Alpine Medium.jpg
    Demon and Alpine Medium.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
attachment.php

attachment.php

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Here are some pictures of the progress so far. Eye candy :)
Enjoy!

That is one sweet looking custom Alpine! .. Sure would be nice to see some better pic.s of it though ... side and 3/4 views from a bit of a distance so it's full glory could be realized. Bravo for bringing a modern idea of what these cars might look like if they were being produced today. Are you taking orders yet:D

..... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor

Jay,
Your car is BEAUTIFUL!
To be honest with you when I started this build it was noticeable right away that the Honda rear was too short compared to the Sunbeam. You make a very good point, I have to agree with you that it appears to be more balanced.
Thanks for sharing

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
That is one sweet looking custom Alpine! .. Sure would be nice to see some better pic.s of it though ... side and 3/4 views from a bit of a distance so it's full glory could be realized. Bravo for bringing a modern idea of what these cars might look like if they were being produced today. Are you taking orders yet:D

..... David

Thanks David!
As you can see in the pics my space is limited and I will get it out in the open and take better pictures. Thanks for the compliments.
P.S.
No orders yet, LOL

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Thanks for your compliment too. Note that my point was not to show off my car, but to help give you alternative ideas in your build.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got some more done this week, now that the retractable top major components are in place it became neccesary to relocate the fuel door and filler (before and after pics attached). I have also attached a couple of pictures to give me some idea of what it will look like when it is done. Trunk and door glass will be the next things on my list to get the car sealed up. Do you like the license plate recess located under the bumper?

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_144357.jpg
    IMG_20170911_144357.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20170914_152158.jpg
    IMG_20170914_152158.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20170915_182452.jpg
    IMG_20170915_182452.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20170915_182510.jpg
    IMG_20170915_182510.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 93

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like you are getting it together....

David asked about the bumper... might be a split two piece inorder to work around the recess tag position.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes it is getting there, mostly two steps forward and one step back. I have bumpers for it that I will need to lengthen and get new chrome, However at a car show today I saw an early Corvette had front and rear split bumpers....something to look at. It looked really good but they may be too bulky? Another option is some of the 64-65 Valiants and Barracuda had nice straight bumpers. Getting chrome done that lasts in California will not be easy to find.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know the '55-56 Tbird bumpers are a bit too large, but they have a nice shape.

I think if you modify the Alpine bumper, making a split and rounding the edge near the center would be rather neat.

That way re-chroming would be a sure thing but the bumpers would be very similar to the originals.

I have even given some thought to adding a Spare Tire Rack like the '55 T-bird had:cool:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow,
A continental kit for the Sunbeam! I never thought of that. For me it would not work because the trunk lid has to tilt up and back to allow the roof to stow. Surprisingly with the top in the stow position, there is still quite a bit of trunk left on mine. I think you can even get the spare tire out of the well with the top stowed.
The weather should be good this week and I can get more done.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bel, Why not build the "Kit" and design into it so you can tilt the wheel backwards when the top is being activated?

I've seen some cars done that-a-way, just can't remember at the moment which cars....:eek:

65beam

Donation Time
build

Dan,
The continental kit has already been done to two Beams. One is on a Tiger in Morgantown,W Va and the other is on a series 2 owned by a guy north of Dayton, Ohio.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Conti-kit

Don't know about a Tiger or why anyone would want to ruin the looks of a Tiger by doing it but to each his/her own. I have pic.s of a couple early series and it doesn't look half bad....Here's one ... I'll try and find the others .... Hope this loads correctly as I had to change the format.

..... David

..................................................... BINGO!

Attachments

• 100_0794.jpg
    100_0794.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited: