• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Substituting Electric Fan for Engine Mounted Fan

ducsingle

Donation Time
My apologies if this has been brought up before, but the search feature on this forum won't let me search for just "electric fan".

Has anyone substituted a thermostat controlled electric fan for the engine mounted fan? This would likely offer better cooling when stopped, and there would be less parasitic drag and bearing wear on engine components. I did this on a Toyota pickup I used to own using an electric fan kit from Black Magic, and it worked great. The major downside is that an electric fan is a more complex system, and an electric motor failure might require a tow home.

Note that I'm not talking about an electric fan that mounts on the front side of the radiator.

atallamcs

Donation Time
electric fan

Well, I was with you until the last line. So what kind of fan are you talking about, maybe I am just a bit dense today.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I'm with Bill, are you looking at a 'puller' fan and not one that 'pushes' the air through? I'm not sure how much room you have between the pully and the radiator on your Alger, but the Tiger's certainly don't (not without major mods anyway).

Regards, Robin.

socorob

Donation Time
I have a v6 conversion and I've been looking at the scirocco fan from flex a lite. It looks like it's exactly the size of my radiator up and down and will give me about 3/16" clearance in thickness. I've measured several times and it looks like it will work according to the dimensions given on jegs site. That's a dual fan and about the thinnest I've found so far. Been scared to do it because it says for race only and I can never get an answer when I call flexalite to ask about it holding up in everyday use. I only overheat when idling for extended periods so I guess it will help my problem. Check it out and see if it's thin enough for your application. Anyone have any experience with this fan?

atallamcs

Donation Time
Electric Fans

Here is a solution that works in terms of achieving your end goal--keeping that Sunbeam cool. A Derale Pusher Fan 11.75" pushes through over 2200cfms, fits perfect and does the trick. I have one on my Tiger along with the 6 blade fan, no issues in hot Nevada or Napa Valley in the middle of the summer.

On my Harrington I just added the same both controlled by the thermostat and with a switch to turn on. My race car has twin fans since I do not run a mechanical fan on that car. All problems solved, no need to buy some old technology when Summit Racing or others can provide new and inexpensive solutions.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rob,

I don't recommend using the Flexolite metal fans. They have a history of flexing forward into the radiator, and Bye Bye radiator. I had one on my turbo Alpine, and it grenaded, taking out the radiator and almost burning down the engine. One of my customers didn't believe me when I told him he shouldn't use one, so he went ahead and used one anyway. He called me later, to tell me that the fan flexed into the top tank of the radiator. It didn't do any damage at that time, but he just straightened the bent blades and decided to take his Alpine for a ride again. He said that this time not only did it hit the top tank again, but this time it bent the blade forward, and it cut a perfect circle in the radiator core, ruining it to where he couldn't get it fixed.

I have seen personally two other cars that had basically the same problem, and lost the radiator too. You can use one if you want, but in the V6 Alpine conversion, the fan sits just too close to the radiator to be safe.

Jose

I have a v6 conversion and I've been looking at the scirocco fan from flex a lite. It looks like it's exactly the size of my radiator up and down and will give me about 3/16" clearance in thickness. I've measured several times and it looks like it will work according to the dimensions given on jegs site. That's a dual fan and about the thinnest I've found so far. Been scared to do it because it says for race only and I can never get an answer when I call flexalite to ask about it holding up in everyday use. I only overheat when idling for extended periods so I guess it will help my problem. Check it out and see if it's thin enough for your application. Anyone have any experience with this fan?

bashby

Donation Time
I am using 2-11" Spal pusher fans on my modified SV Alpine, the clearance is too tight for pullers.

Attachments

• spal fans and brackets.jpg
    spal fans and brackets.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

ducsingle

Donation Time
Sorry for the confusion. My original post was directed to replacing the stock engine driven fan with a puller type electric fan.

Judging from responses, there is insufficient clearance for this?

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am using 2-10" Spal pusher fans on my modified SV Alpine, the clearance is too tight for pullers.

How about this set up ? No mechanical fan or mechanical waterpump. Both are electric.

Attachments

• Eb12 (Small).JPG
    Eb12 (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Eb11 (Small).JPG
    Eb11 (Small).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 62

ducsingle

Donation Time
How about this set up ? No mechanical fan or mechanical waterpump. Both are electric.

That's pretty slick and appears to eliminate the clearance issues others have mentioned. Can you provide brand names and part numbers for the radiator, fan, and water pump components?

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's pretty slick and appears to eliminate the clearance issues others have mentioned. Can you provide brand names and part numbers for the radiator, fan, and water pump components?

Well do you want the good news or the bad news??
The good news is the fan and water pump can be purchased here

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/ewp_demo-content.aspx

The bad news is the radiator is custom made including the fan mountings. The mechanical water pump was modified (pully and rotor removed,neck milled off and a 'welch' plug pressed in the hole). Thats why "you can do anything you want to a car you only need two things............time and money").:rolleyes:

Some more info

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11876

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
That's a dual fan and about the thinnest I've found so far. Been scared to do it because it says for race only and I can never get an answer when I call flexalite to ask about it holding up in everyday use.

The "off-road use only" disclaimer is probably to protect them from the wrath of the EPA or any of the California tree hugger laws.:rolleyes:

socorob

Donation Time
i finally was able to get through yesterday. Hes supposed to be emailing me more info on it. He says its rated for 1600 cfm's. He also said most of their fans say off road use only, and hes not sure why, and he said they have a full money back withiin so many days if it doesnt work out. He says a lot of drag racers use it with the scirocco radiator because its a pretty efficient combination.

64beam

Donation Time
Got the drawing, its a really thin fan.

Hi Robbie,

You should be able to find single electric fans at that same height. I know I have bought fans in the past which are 2" high and you may be saving yourself some cash while your at it.

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Fan

I think I am missing something. There are well documented articles on fans for cooling Tigers, which I think historically run a bit warmer than Alpines. They are clear the 11.75" pusher does the trick. It is readily available. Why reinvent the wheel unless there is fun in coming up with unproven ideas?
Bill

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think I am missing something. There are well documented articles on fans for cooling Tigers, which I think historically run a bit warmer than Alpines. They are clear the 11.75" pusher does the trick. It is readily available. Why reinvent the wheel unless there is fun in coming up with unproven ideas?
Bill

From what I have been told by a couple of Tiger owners.....'pusher' (or up stream mounted) fans can obstruct the front of the radiator.You are better off with a 'puller' (downstream) configuration for more efficiant cooling.

64beam

Donation Time
From what I have been told by a couple of Tiger owners.....'pusher' (or up stream mounted) fans can obstruct the front of the radiator.You are better off with a 'puller' (downstream) configuration for more efficiant cooling.

Until they make a wafer thin cooling fan, we are stuck with the pusher fans. Even the Alpine's don't give you room for a puller fan without major mods.

ducsingle

Donation Time

For a Tiger driven on the street, it's pretty much a given that a puller fan is necessary. My original post that started this thread was asking whether there were any electric puller fans that could be substituted for the water pump driven puller fan setup. And it looks like the answer is "no" without a lot of work.

There is a very exhaustive Tiger cooling article that shows a properly selected pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator can greatly enhance cooling in around town traffic. The article pointed out that a front mounted electric pusher fan blocks some airflow to the radiator at speed, but not so much as to cause cooling problems at speed.

The temperature gauge on my V8 Alpine is 170-180F at freeway speeds, but if I catch lights around town, it will ramp up to 210F or more. So I'm mainly looking for better cooling around town. I'll most likely install an electric pusher fan.