• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stud extractors and installers

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking for recommendations for stud extractors and installers for some probable future work. First up will probably be the exhaust manifold studs.

For stud installers, I assume not damaging the threads and being able to use a torque wrench are key characteristics.

For stud extractors, maybe there are two scenarios - one where the stud won't/can't be re-used and one where you'd like to try to reuse the stud. (I'd replace the stud when possible.)

I've seen different styles of tools. This style covers a range of sizes and it seems like it might be good for removal when the stud will be replaced.

upload_2022-4-1_11-0-10.png

There is this style remover which also covers a range of sizes.

upload_2022-4-1_11-4-26.png

And then there are the single size removers, like this OTC 6986 model:

upload_2022-4-1_12-20-31.png

For stud installation, should I be looking at the stud size specific tools, which look just like the OTC 6986 item above, but at least make a claim they are also used for stud installation?

Thanks,
Mike

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
For installations , double nuts locked together gives you all you need. I have the top style remover and it's not good in tight spaces.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Plus one on the double nuts on studs you want to re-use. I have a set of the bottom removers and they work very well if you don't want to save the studs, but they damage the threads when used.