• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Wheel Diameter

alpine_64

Donation Time
What is the diameter of a stock Alpine steerin wheel? Thanks
Which series Alpine, the series I had a larger wheel that was reduced for series II ( and raised column height too).. Cant recall if the series II wheel set the size for the following series . but all Series 3-V and Tiger use the same wheel

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
What is the proper measurement - outside to outside, or centerline of rim to centerline? I am at work, but off the top of my head I think the aftermarket wheel I installed was 14".

johnd

Donation Time
Which series Alpine, the series I had a larger wheel that was reduced for series II ( and raised column height too).. Cant recall if the series II wheel set the size for the following series . but all Series 3-V and Tiger use the same wheel
What is the diameter of the late series wheels? I have a 14" wheel that I find hard to turn when the car is stationary. My grandaughter will eventually get the car and I thiink a larger wheel will make turning easier. I'm thinking 16".

alpine_64

Donation Time
What is the diameter of the late series wheels? I have a 14" wheel that I find hard to turn when the car is stationary. My grandaughter will eventually get the car and I thiink a larger wheel will make turning easier. I'm thinking 16".
John,

You still didnt answer what series car you have.

Also, steering effort will also depend on tyres...
Do you have wider tyres than stock?
Are they grippy sports tyres?
Dry steering the cars is never a good idea.. Ig you even roll a little while turning the steering is much lighter.

Is the steering box well greased, all still supple and not dried?

Also what condition are the bushes, ball joints in?

A 14" wheel is smaller than stock but i would guess also thick than stock which can help with turning effort re gripping the wheel.. Factory larger wheel is more leverage.. But they are a spindly

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
If replacement is the objective, a 330mm steering wheel worked exceptionally well in my Alpines. Nardi makes a beautiful wheel that resembles the Alpine GT and Tiger steering wheels. The Nardi wheel is thicker and much easier to slide under when getting in and out of the car too. The downside is you need to add the wheel adapter kit for Sunbeams which adds to the cost of replacement but, in my opinion, it's worth it. I've also used a Mota Lita Mk-9, 20 mm larger, with excellent results.
NARDI 330 Nardi 330mm 5061.33.3000.jpg Moto-Lita 350 MOTA-LITA Steering Wheel.jpg

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Richard Fritz - great to hear from you!!
Johnd - 1. I think 16" is going to cut into leg room, which may be important depending on the size of the driver.
2. When I learned to drive (eons ago) I was taught not to even try to turn the wheel of a stationary car that did not have power steering.
I kind of doubt that upping the wheel size is going to noticeably change the situation for your daughter. There are folks on this forum that would be happy to sell you electric power steering, but learning to get the car moving before turning the wheel is really just one of several adaptations that are part of driving a vehicle of this vintage.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
+1 on what Todd just said. I was taught to always get the car rolling, even the slightest bit before turning. I really does loosen it up and make it much easier. Sure, sometimes you really need to turn first - but very rarely and again, just the slightest rolling is all you need. You reduce the sideways stress on the rubber because it's rolling onto the new rubber spot without stress.

I was also taught to shift by putting my hand gently on the top side of the knob in the direction I wanted the shifter to go. So from 1st to 2nd, my hand would be resting on the right top. From 2nd to 3rd, my hand would be resting on the left top. I've encountered many people who do not shift this way. They grab the knob as a "shift handle" not a knob. Doing it this way means the shifter always slides where it needs to go.

This actually isn't all that necessary for an Alpine box - but absolutely critical for a poorly aligned VW or early Porsche box! Ha.