• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering effort

raceatr3

Donation Time
re: Series III
The front suspension is completely refurbished. Steering box and idler operate smoothly. The steering effort at low speed or standing still or parking is excessive. Is this normal or should I look further? All turns smoothly with frontend jacked up off the ground.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
wide sticky tires and incorrect caster all contribute to high effort steering even though the steering is effortless with the wheels off the ground.
My alpine with 205 wire tires and sticky rubber is a bear to turn till it gets above 30mph. The caster probably doesn't help...

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
re: Series III
The front suspension is completely refurbished. Steering box and idler operate smoothly. The steering effort at low speed or standing still or parking is excessive. Is this normal or should I look further? All turns smoothly with frontend jacked up off the ground.

Pretty much normal. The series Alpine front suspension (which dates back to the 1945 Hillman) has a large amount (2+ inches with the stock steel wheels and 3+ inches with 6" rim width aftermarket wheels) of positive scrub radius. The inevitable result is high steering effort at low speeds, even with stock wheels / tires.

Member DanR has a solution.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Alpine steering was never known for being particularly tight. Also, "refurbished" can mean a lot of things. For instance, was the center link replaced? Worn link bushings can add a lot of extra play. And again, how was the steering effort pre-refurbishment?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a S3 also. For a small light weight car, it takes a surprising amount of effort to turn the wheel when the car is not moving. Stock wire wheels with pretty old tires, which are probably harder than new ones. I rebuilt my front end (pretty much all wear items replaced). Center link is from a SV parts car and seems to be in good shape. I notice very little play in the steering.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I think it is important to note that our frame of reference has changed. When is the last time you drove a car (other than your Alpine) with manual steering? I am old enough to remember being taught in Drivers Ed that you shouldn't (and probably couldn't) turn the wheels until the car was moving. We have all adapted to power steering!
I vividly remember driving an early 1960's Plymouth Valiant with manual steering in a wedding. The steering was light, but there seemed to be about 9 turns lock to lock! It was actually a challenge to drive - I was used to my '74 Ford pinto with rack & pinion.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Barry mention a "solution" is at hand.

I have developed an Electrical Power Steering (EPS) for the Alpine.

My Series '67 SV Alpine was never "easy" to turn, especially trying to park or manuver around corners at slow speeds.

Now with the EPS and a bit heaver engine (FORD 2.8 V6) fitted with P195 55 15's (7" wide wheels). it is a real pleasure to drive.

It does still have some slight weave which I contribute to the castor and camber settings. Not the EPS. Hoping to get that fixed this winter with replacing the front coils and other adjustments:)

Attachments

• EPS mounted in dash w instrumernt panel 20170903_150557.jpg
    EPS mounted in dash w instrumernt panel 20170903_150557.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 48
  • EPS mounted in dash w instrumernt panel 20170903_151255.jpg
    EPS mounted in dash w instrumernt panel 20170903_151255.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 44
  • EPS mounted in dask w instrumernt panel 20170903_151131.jpg
    EPS mounted in dask w instrumernt panel 20170903_151131.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170801_125606.jpg
    20170801_125606.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Blue Boy Emergency Power switch under the dash 2015-01-24 03.27.00 (640x480).jpg
    Blue Boy Emergency Power switch under the dash 2015-01-24 03.27.00 (640x480).jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 42

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Also I would suggest that you check the steering relay idler assembly. Often giving this an overhaul can completely change the steering and make it much lighter.

Tim R