• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering column cover

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I am looking for input from the sunbeam brain trust. I spent all winter stripping and refinishing an aftermarket wood rim steering wheel I bought on ebay so that it would match my homemade wood dash. The wheel came with a mounting hub. I just installed everything in my Series V last night. With the wheel adjusted all the way out (closest to the driver) I have about an inch and a half gap between the mounting hub and the steering column cover. I can move the wheel in to get rid of the gap, but prefer the extra knee room (I'm 6'3'').

My choices would seem to be:
1. extend the existing cover (perhaps with pieces cut from a second cover).
2. try to mold a new cover using the old cover to create a mold (I have no experience in this area - not sure what materials to use - any suggestions?)
3. leave it as is (looks pretty ugly)
4. some other ingenius solution I haven't thought of yet.

All input welcome.

Thanks in advance for your time & consideration.

TR

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry for the delayed response. I am much better with a wrench than a digital camera. I found a couple of spare covers in my spare parts collection, so the solution seems to be pretty straight forward - cut and glue.

Hopefully I have managed to attach a picture of the original problem and an in progress picture of the proposed solution.

TR

Attachments

• Steering Column.jpg
    Steering Column.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 58

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
That looks more like an extender

On the Lister I have one that fits the Grant steering wheel. However I have a Ford column and there was no spacing involved. I also have the grant wheel,remove and lock as well

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I would estimate the wheel is approx. an inch and a half to two inches closer to the driver. It really improves the knee room.